Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think step-parents should have rights?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 178 Replies
I hear all the time that children have a right to see their biological parents, regardless of how the other parent feels about them, and anyone who feels otherwise is often painted as a horrible person. What I don't hear a lot about is when someone completely severes their relationship with a spouse, and their children are never able to see their former step-parent again. I find this odd. IMO, the relationships we form hold a lot more value than the DNA we share. What do you think?
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 26, 2017 at 5:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tigress22304
by Platinum Member on Sep. 26, 2017 at 5:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Every situation is different.

My DH is a step father to BM's DD16-I've been with him nearly 11yrs and she still has full access to the only father she's ever known.

And he has said if we ever split I'd get to split the summer.
Marie207
by on Sep. 26, 2017 at 5:43 AM
1 mom liked this

No step parents should not have any rights.  They are not even related to the kid period.  They do deserve the kids to continue to respect them and love them.  I respected my stepmom til she died, but she did not come even close to number 1, my momma.  Girl please.  Yall going to have these kids all messed up.  KIDS, you got one mom, and only one, same with your daddy. 

tired_momof3
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2017 at 5:44 AM
22 moms liked this
I was a stepmom at 20 to a 2 year old. I married her dad and we then added 2 more kids to the family. After 16 years together we divorced. I requested, and was granted visitation with my SD in my divorce agreement. Six years later she is still one of my kids and my family is not complete without her.

That said, step parenting isn't a right, it's a privilege. Because I helped raise her, loved her, supported her, accepted her as my own, etc it wasn't hard to continue my relationship with SD, and was totally supported by BM as well as my XH. I think I will always prefer to be the parent who chooses to be in her life because she's not an obligation to me like she is with her parents.

I divorced her dad, not her. My kids are her siblings, my parents are still her grandparents and my brother spoils her the same way he does my kids.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 26, 2017 at 5:45 AM
4 moms liked this
Well, I have two dads, personally.

Quoting Marie207:

No step parents should not have any rights.  They are not even realted to the kid period.  They do deserve the kids to continue to respect them and love them.  I respected my stepmom til she died, but she did not come even close to number 1, my momma.  Girl please.  Yall going to have these kids all messed up.  KIDS, you got one mom, and only one, same with your daddy. 

Marie207
by on Sep. 26, 2017 at 5:48 AM

No it's not.  I hed a great mom, her and my dad just divorced.   Heck I loved my mom and it seems that she is passed on now, I love her even more.  Today I know kids with mom's that  I could go kick their butts,  for being so worthless,  but that is still the momma. 

Quoting Tigress22304: Every situation is different. My DH is a step father to BM's DD16-I've been with him nearly 11yrs and she still has full access to the only father she's ever known. And he has said if we ever split I'd get to split the summer.

Marie207
by on Sep. 26, 2017 at 5:49 AM

I don't know how the hell that happened.  lol.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Well, I have two dads, personally.
Quoting Marie207:

No step parents should not have any rights.  They are not even realted to the kid period.  They do deserve the kids to continue to respect them and love them.  I respected my stepmom til she died, but she did not come even close to number 1, my momma.  Girl please.  Yall going to have these kids all messed up.  KIDS, you got one mom, and only one, same with your daddy. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 26, 2017 at 5:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Like I said, DNA isn't important to me.

Quoting Marie207:

Quoting Marie207:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 26, 2017 at 5:53 AM
I agree every situation is different, but I feel that's true with biological parents as well.

Quoting Tigress22304: Every situation is different.

My DH is a step father to BM's DD16-I've been with him nearly 11yrs and she still has full access to the only father she's ever known.

And he has said if we ever split I'd get to split the summer.
Marie207
by on Sep. 26, 2017 at 5:56 AM

If you really feel that way then I have to respect that.  Maybe some cases are different.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Like I said, DNA isn't important to me.
Quoting Marie207:

Quoting Marie207:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 26, 2017 at 5:58 AM
My dds dad and stepmom divorced years ago (6 years) and they still have a relationship, actually she sees her ex stepmom but not her father he stopped seeing her 6 years ago.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)