Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think this "ad" is racist....?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 44 Replies

"Looking for other Christian moms who have adopted African-American daughters.  Trying to start a playgroup/mom's group etc.  I think it would be great for our daughters to have friends who have also been adopted (transracial), and for us to build friendships as well.  We will probably meet at least twice a month and also have mom's night out, maybe with guest speakers who are African American women, have been adopted, etc."

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 26, 2017 at 1:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 26, 2017 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this
It's not racist, but there are so many levels of fucked up here. I'm out.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 26, 2017 at 1:05 PM
No
LuvHugs429
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2017 at 1:07 PM

No, I don't think so. It's good everyone to know about their cultures. I even knew a Mom who took her daughter to an African-American hair salon to properly do her daughters hair.

ilovemykids323
by Emerald Member on Sep. 26, 2017 at 1:07 PM

no i think it's a group loooking for people wiht common grounds... 

jules2boys
by on Sep. 26, 2017 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

No.  Seems the person who placed the ad is looking for others in her, and her childrens, similiar situation.  Nothing wrong with that IMO.   This isn't a 'business' discriminating against others, it's an individual, looking for others in her situation.  

Reading.Rainbow
by Mad Martigan on Sep. 26, 2017 at 1:07 PM

No...

Being adopted into a family that looks different from you can cause issues in kids, having them play with other families where they can see that everyone looks different and their familial situation is completely normal improves their self esteem.

susannah2000
by Ruby Member on Sep. 26, 2017 at 1:10 PM
3 moms liked this

Sorry, you neither understand the ad or the definition of racism. Too many people throw it around in totally meaningless way.

NiamhWitch
by Póg mo thóin on Sep. 26, 2017 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this

No.  I think it's probably a good idea... especially if they invite AA moms as well.  The issue that some have with white parents who adopt children of colour is that many do not take the steps necessary to make sure their adopted children are exposed to Black (or other PoC) culture and heritage.  I see this as an awareness of that issue and (hopefully) taking steps to get the views, opinions, and experiences of those in the Black community.

Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on Sep. 26, 2017 at 1:13 PM

Why exactly do you thik this is racist?

mama_danetta
by She's so heavy on Sep. 26, 2017 at 1:15 PM
No.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)