Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'll be honest, I can't stand parents like this.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 231 Replies
16 moms liked this

Ones who are constantly using "foul language" in front of their kids, but then get the children in trouble for using the same language.  Especially in moments of frustration and anger.

Say, a parent tends to yells "fucking hell" or various other strings of obscenities when they drop things.  Then the child starts to emulate it.  Kid gets in trouble.  Why?  Kids learn from you.  Even if you've explained it and you think they're old enough to "know better".  This is what they see and know on a regular basis.  YOU, as an adult with a fully developed brain, will not stop yourself from saying it out of habit.  So why do you expect your child, who is still not fully mature or as able to control their reactions as well as an adult, to be able to control something like a knee-jerk reaction better than you can?  Teach by example.  Everyone with sense already knows "do as I say, not as I do" is bull when your kids actually see/hear you doing it.

Rant over.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 26, 2017 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 26, 2017 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Agreed.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 26, 2017 at 1:59 PM
5 moms liked this

Sometimes common sense is not so common, you are totally correct.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 26, 2017 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this

This weekend me and dh we sitting with my ex at ds's football game. The ex kept dropping f-bombs conversationally. I asked him to stop, it sounds awful and there were kids (not ours) all around. He kept going and then said well ds yelled fuck when he screwed up playing Madden earlier... DH looked at him and said well wonder where he gets that from.... the ex shut up after that lol

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Sep. 26, 2017 at 2:02 PM
33 moms liked this
I curse, my kids better not, just like I didn't curse in front of my parents, it's called self control....
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 26, 2017 at 2:02 PM
20 moms liked this
Luckily my kids are smart enough to know that they aren't to use "adult" words. And as I'm an adult, I can. Not all kids have enough brains to get that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Sep. 26, 2017 at 2:02 PM

I agree.  I just ask the kids not to swear around adults or younger children.  

Traci_Momof2
by Ruby Member on Sep. 26, 2017 at 2:03 PM
3 moms liked this

Agree.  I think it's wrong to swear in front of children period.  I've rarely ever said a bad word in front of my kids.  I can probably count on one hand how many times I have in their lifetime (they are 10 and 12).

But there are people who have no qualms letting the curse words fly in front of their kids or letting them fly in public when there are clearly children within earshot.  I find those types of people to be of very low class and don't think much of them.

tklrcl2014
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2017 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Well I am an adult, and I tell my kids that those are adult words.  I however am also not one of those parents either though, because A: I rarely cuss, and B: If my kid slips and uses a bad word I just remind them that language is adult only language.

eztwins
by Platinum Member on Sep. 26, 2017 at 2:04 PM
43 moms liked this
Except adults can do lots of things kids can't. I can drink. I can drive a car. I can use language that's not for them. I can watch things they can't.

Children and adults are not equals.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Sep. 26, 2017 at 2:05 PM
9 moms liked this

So based on this logic it's okay for children to drink, smoke and just do as they please because that is what parents do and they shouldn't get in trouble.

Look, while it's not advisable to curse around children, they don't get to do it just because their parents or other adults do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)