Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Really Pennsylvania? The southern states are laughing at you

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2017 at 2:31 PM
  • 166 Replies
I live in PA and thought this was funny. My kid had school all day.

2 NE Pennsylvania School Districts Out Early Due to Heat

Two northeastern Pennsylvania school districts are letting students out early Monday because of unseasonably hot weather.

Sept. 25, 2017, at 8:23 a.m.

SCRANTON, Pa. (AP) — Two northeastern Pennsylvania school districts are letting students out early Monday because of unseasonable hot weather.

The high schools and intermediate schools in the Scranton School District will dismiss at 11:30 a.m. The elementary schools will let out at noon. In the Tunkhannock School District, the elementary school will close at 12:30 p.m. and the high school and middle school will dismiss at 1 p.m.

High temperatures in the area are expected to be near 90 degrees (32.2 Celsius). Normal highs would be around 70 degrees (21.1 Celsius).

The hot temperatures are expected to run through Tuesday, with things cooling off the rest of the week.

Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/pennsylvania/articles/2017-09-25/2-ne-pennsylvania-school-districts-out-early-due-to-heat
by on Sep. 26, 2017 at 2:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LilysMama719
by Emmy on Sep. 26, 2017 at 2:31 PM
9 moms liked this
Those schools probably don't have air conditioning like most Southern schools do.
OliRye1234
by Ruby Member on Sep. 26, 2017 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this
SSDs one building reached 120° on the third floor. The HVAC system doesn't work and the windows don't open. I have a friend that works there.
littlesippycup
by Baby T-rex Arms on Sep. 26, 2017 at 2:32 PM
Oh my. 90 with a breeze is slightly pleasant here compared to how hot it can get.
MountainMomma3
by Sound of Madness on Sep. 26, 2017 at 2:33 PM

Do they not have air conditioning? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 26, 2017 at 2:33 PM
My brother had no school today and they let out early yesterday. Due to heat index. His school has no air condition. We live in Michigan. He is a teacher.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 26, 2017 at 2:33 PM
I live in Connecticut and there were a few times we got out early due to heat. A lot of the schools here aren't air conditioned
OliRye1234
by Ruby Member on Sep. 26, 2017 at 2:34 PM
Most schools either can't afford to cool the building enough or can't afford to fix their HVAC systems. Scranton is doing terrible financially.

Quoting LilysMama719: Those schools probably don't have air conditioning like most Southern schools do.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 26, 2017 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this

This

Quoting LilysMama719: Those schools probably don't have air conditioning like most Southern schools do.

PJMM
by Ruby Member on Sep. 26, 2017 at 2:34 PM
That would be miserable. After all that's how those nursing home patients died in Florida. In elementary school idt we had a/c but the windows opened. This was also 1971.

Quoting OliRye1234: SSDs one building reached 120° on the third floor. The HVAC system doesn't work and the windows don't open. I have a friend that works there.
anononononon
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2017 at 2:34 PM
A lot of schools don't that were open, it's causing a lot of snowflake comments on Facebook lol

Ds had school today and soccer after school and it 90 degrees, I think it's crazy they are letting kids out early because of the heat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)