Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I can barely keep it together...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 107 Replies
My son who has always been the perfect most well behaved child has turned into a real brat. Everything is a screaming crying tantrum. EVERYTHING!

This morning he threw and hour long fit over hell if I know what. He woke up and came in to lay with me in my bed. He told me he loved me and was being all sweet. Then when it was time to get up... the whining started. I said "stop whining." And the screaming crying tantrum started again.

He was on grounding for an entire week and today was the day he was off, after school. And now since he threw a SCREAMING tantrum he's not getting it back today,

People keep telling me ignore it. But we have roommates he disrupts if he screams. So I can't ignore it. My parents tell me to spank him when he does it. But I really don't want to spank.

So...how?

I'm at a loss. Today I wanted to threaten to send him to live at his dads. I didn't say it because a. I would never. B. I don't want his other parent time he a punishment. C. His dad is unfit.

But there are days when he's acting like that that I resent the hell out of his dad for not being around to help teach him how men are supposed to act.

I'm at the end of my rope. Tantrums and screaming crying fits have never been tolerated. And to be honest I really hate parenting this kind of kid. I want MY GOOD boy back.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 29, 2017 at 7:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PJMM
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 7:15 AM
Something going on with school? And how old is he? Maybe instead of grounding go with positive reinforcement. For good behavior he gets a sticker. Five stickers and he gets movie or pizza night. Explain he can't scream and offer an alternative. For example i used to give ods a punching clown to hit. If he whines in the morning- and i feel like whining myself- agree it's a pain to get up. See if this helps.
mommy2smommy2
by Gold Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 7:18 AM
Yeah I say something is going on at school
zoegirlsmom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 7:18 AM
So is he 4 or 14, age definitely matters in this circumstance.
Shari4
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 7:21 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with the positive reinforcement. Give him something to look forward to if he can control it. How old is you son? You may be putting extra stress on yourself when it happens because of the roommate. I read once that offer them a "safe" area to go to that has calming items such as books or a stuff animal to hold can be beneficial but I have never implemented it.

Quoting PJMM: Something going on with school? And how old is he? Maybe instead of grounding go with positive reinforcement. For good behavior he gets a sticker. Five stickers and he gets movie or pizza night. Explain he can't scream and offer an alternative. For example i used to give ods a punching clown to hit. If he whines in the morning- and i feel like whining myself- agree it's a pain to get up. See if this helps.
PJMM
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 7:21 AM
2 moms liked this
But that makes a difference because for a teen I'd give you different advice.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I find it irritating that people fixate on age. But he's 5.

Quoting zoegirlsmom: So is he 4 or 14, age definitely matters in this circumstance.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 29, 2017 at 7:22 AM
Okay.

Quoting PJMM: But that makes a difference because for a teen I'd give you different advice.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I find it irritating that people fixate on age. But he's 5.

Quoting zoegirlsmom: So is he 4 or 14, age definitely matters in this circumstance.
Shari4
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 7:23 AM
Well age can determine which route to help with tantrums. Certain tactics are more beneficial for say a 5 year olds led versus a 2 year old

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 7:23 AM
9 moms liked this
So irritating when parents don't take age into account.

You don't ground a 5 year old for a week.

Punky_1981
by Silver Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 7:24 AM

Does this only happen when it's time to go to school?

spunky946
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 7:28 AM
I’d say try positive reinforcement when he is acting right. Also what was he upset over?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)