Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why are single dads better than single moms??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 139 Replies

I meet a group of other moms at the playground on Thursdays, there are about 12 of us from a wide variety of backgrounds. We have two single moms, several SAHMs and working moms as well.

While there we see a guy from my church who is raising his 4 year old on his own, his wife left them and moved 4 states away.

All I hear from the other moms is what a hero he is for doing it... am I missing something? How is he any different from the single mothers raising children?

It seems dads who are left "holding the baby" so to speak, are hero worshipped and thought of as extraordinary for simple being a lone parent, yet the single moms I know are offered no such praise? Why is this?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 29, 2017 at 7:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 7:48 AM
10 moms liked this
Probably because they don't bitch and moan about being a single dad.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 7:49 AM
14 moms liked this
Because people still think men can't raise kids and if they're forced to, they're doing something almost impossible.
redbottoms
by Platinum Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 7:50 AM
5 moms liked this
its a definite double standard for sure. I guess one aspect is the Dad did not always decide to have the baby but he still stuck around. The mothers have a choice in whether to have that baby or not.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 7:53 AM
5 moms liked this
Men aren't as good at child rearing. I don't care if that's sexist. In most cases it's true. Men and women are different.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 7:56 AM
2 moms liked this

Interestingly enough, I know 2 single dads and a handful of single moms, and I have never heard the single dads complain about being single dads, while I hear some of the single moms complain nonstop. I'm not saying they don't complain, I've just never heard them complain. I don't think a single dad is a hero, just like I don't think s single mom is a hero, but I definitely see more attempted martyrdom from single moms.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Probably because they don't bitch and moan about being a single dad.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 7:57 AM
7 moms liked this
It's probably because more dads tend to abandon children than do moms.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 29, 2017 at 7:58 AM
3 moms liked this

Wow - yes it is sexist.  And I think you're full of yourself.

Quoting Anonymous 4: Men aren't as good at child rearing. I don't care if that's sexist. In most cases it's true. Men and women are different.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 7:59 AM
3 moms liked this
It’s not any different, however most women are naturally maternal. I def think the average women would handle being a single parent better than most men would. I think it is also seen as so admirable for a man to do because sadly we are conditioned to hearing about so many men that don’t and are dead beat fathers period.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 8:01 AM
1 mom liked this
They're not, women like to think as a man as helpless so when they do something like that it's a huge pat on the back.
It drives brother insane, he's raising my nephew alone.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this
Cause they're trying to get that D. Seriously. Look at him looking all unicornish at mommy group with no other man in site. Even if they got a man they're probably sorry like most the sorry ass men you hear women complaining about that they procreated with on here.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)