Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom faces jail time for not vaccinating son

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2017 at 9:25 AM
  • 16 Replies

The gist of the story is that Mom didn't want to vaccinate her child, but her ex husband disagreed. A judge ordered her to vaccinate, but she is defying the order and could face jail time over it.

I selectively and delayed vaccinated myself, and I will never/have never gotten my son or myself a flu shot. Neither of us has ever had the flu.

I think if she truly feels that strongly about it, she could take her case higher up.

Thoughts?

http://www.wtol.com/story/36482243/michigan-mom-faces-jail-time-for-not-getting-son-vaccinated?utm_content=buffer1d1a3&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

CBS -

If you have kids, their health, their safety is your top priority. However, what if doing what you think is best could land you behind bars?

A Metro Detroit mother is facing jail time because of her beliefs when it comes to vaccinations and her kid.  

Rebecca Bredow, a mother of two, has one week to get her son vaccinated and if she does not comply with the order of an Oakland County judge, she will be thrown in jail.

"I would rather sit behind bars standing up for what I believe in, than giving in to something I strongly don't believe in,” Bredow said.

Bredow believes in parents having the choice to make the right decision for their children based on the parent's knowledge of vaccines and the child.

Bredow said she made the decision to space out and delay some of their little one’s vaccines.

“It wasn't until they started grouping them together that I backed off of doing vaccines,” she said.

Bredow said after hitting the books, educating herself, she said, on the research, literature and studies she concluded that waivers were the best way to go.

After all, the state of Michigan offers that option.

"We’re fortunate in the state of Michigan that’s still permitted, still allow religious, personal and medical exemptions for parents who chose to delay, to skip a vaccine to make various choices," said Joel Dorfman with Michigan For Vaccine Choice.  

"God forbid he were to be injured by one of the vaccines, then what? It scares me,” Bredow said.

Bredow and her ex-husband do not see eye-to-eye. Their conflict has become a court battle. According to court documents, the child's father wants their son vaccinated.

Bredow made it clear where she stands on the issue and said she feels like her rights as a parent have been taken away.

"I feel angry. I feel backed into a corner. I feel like my rights as a parent have been taken away," she said.

Bredow believes every parent should have a choice and should also have the right to have both of their voices heard.

Bredow also said she is the primary caregiver for their son. She will spend the next few days trying to figure out how not to go to jail.

When it comes to how much time she would spend behind bars, that is up to the court to decide.

by on Sep. 29, 2017 at 9:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SergeantSausage
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 9:25 AM
Courts need to stay out of it, imo.
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Her ex took it to court.  It's no longer about the vaccination, it's about defying the court order - comtempt of court.  As the childs father, he also has a right to HIS opinions of child rearing.

And it's stupid - because if she goes to jail over it (and she could, comtempt of court is like that), the father will still get the vaccinations.

carterscutie85
by Queen Bee on Sep. 29, 2017 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this

That is a good point.

The Father could even have gotten the kid his vaccinations on his time, and it's not like the Mom could have done anything.

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Her ex took it to court.  It's no longer about the vaccination, it's about defying the court order - comtempt of court.  As the childs father, he also has a right to HIS opinions of child rearing.

And it's stupid - because if she goes to jail over it (and she could, comtempt of court is like that), the father will still get the vaccinations.

momto2boys973
by Sapphire Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 9:33 AM

This. Going to court means agreeing to abide by the judge’s decision, whether you agree with it or not. She may face jail not over not vaccinating, but because she’s in contempt of the court. 

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 9:34 AM
Yep

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 9:35 AM
This. I hate it when the BM thinks they have more say or the only say just because they have the uterus.

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 9:35 AM

She belongs in jail 

momto2boys973
by Sapphire Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 9:35 AM

When parents can’t reach an agreement, then they need to go to a third party. That’s the whole notion behind custody agreements. It would be nice if parents that aren’t together could always agree on what’s best for their child, but it doesn’t always happen that way.

Quoting SergeantSausage: Courts need to stay out of it, imo.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 9:36 AM
I agree with this.

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 9:37 AM

It's only because she was ordered to. If I were the dad I'd take them to get it done myself and be done with it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)