Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sorry but I really don't have the time...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies

I am getting so sick of people becoming offended when they ask me for rides or to do things for them just because I don't go into work until 12pm (noon) and I tell them no.

I get up at 7am and take my boys to school.  One is at the high school.  There is no bus service because you have to live more than 4 miles from the school to ride the bus yet if the kids walk from our side of town, they have to cross through very heavy traffic so most parents carpool, pay someone, or drive their kids to school on their way to work.  My other is in preK and you have to actually walk your PreK or Kindergarten child in.  I get home around 8:15.  I take my shower, do housework, prep supper, take the three dogs on their morning walk, whatever I need to do until 10:30 when I pick my youngest up.  I bring him home, we eat lunch, let the dogs out again, then I take him to his sitter around 11:15/11:25 and drive to work.  

I work until 7pm.  That is why I have supper prepped and ready to be fixed quickly (if it's not a crock pot meal) so we're not eating at 9pm.  After we eat, it is bath time for the little one and bed by 9pm.  I still have to do the supper dishes and anything else around the house.  My neighbor brings my oldest home from school (her 2 ride with me in the morning) then he walks down the street to get his little brother from the babysitter around 4pm.  I feel he is doing me enough of a favor watching his little brother and taking care of the dogs until DH and I get home (DH usually beats me by about 10 minutes getting home and he goes in at 7am.)  So no, I am not asking him to fix supper.  He does occasionally go ahead and do it if they're hungry enough or sometimes he will go ahead and get his little brother a bath.  I still rarely get to bed before 11pm.

I am constantly being contacted by people that need a ride to the next town (25 minutes away) for a DR appointment or to take them to the grocery store.  When I say no, they act like I am just horrible, I don't even have to be to work until noon, how can I not have the time?  Try doing what I do every day...you would see I really don't have a whole lot of extra time and I have a specific time to pick up my youngest.  I may not have to be at work until noon, but I really only have about 2 hours of free time in the morning.  To run you to the town you want to go to would take nearly an hour of that time just in driving. 

I have actually had people suggest to just keep the little one home that day so I have more time to help them.  Uh, no, he is speech delayed and part of his preK day is with the school provided speech therapist.  Why would I make him miss a day of therapy for "you"?  

Ugh.

Now, off to walk the dogs...

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 29, 2017 at 9:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Phoenix_lament
by Fawkes on Sep. 29, 2017 at 9:30 AM
Aren't entitled people wonderful?
shadow_lark
by Platinum Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 9:32 AM
Sorry, that sucks. I get it. I work part time, but with everything else that needs doing I vary rarely have leisure time in the morning or afternoons. People just don't seem to understand.
Hanab818
by ThePonds on Sep. 29, 2017 at 9:32 AM
Eho are these people to you?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 29, 2017 at 9:36 AM

BUMP!

Dog walk is out...just started raining.  Spoiled dogs won't go for a walk in the rain :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 29, 2017 at 9:37 AM

Family, "friends", a couple of my neighbors.

Quoting Hanab818: Eho are these people to you?

muzzyh
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 9:39 AM
You don’t have to justify saying no to anyone. If they want to be assholes, let them be assholes. Not your problem.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 9:43 AM
Tell your neighbors to f off. Tell your so called friends stop asking or ill just stop picking up you calls. And tell your family im sorry but i dont have time for that please dont ask me again.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Family, "friends", a couple of my neighbors.

Quoting Hanab818: Eho are these people to you?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 9:43 AM

Only part that I got was a preschooler is going to bed at 9pm at night but having to get by 7am.  Holy crap is that poor child not getting enough sleep.  

FYI I go to bed if I am lucky at 1am every night and up by 6:30 and single mom of 4 kids working two jobs.  I still manage to do all this and help others out if they need help too.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 9:43 AM
I get it. I work 11-6. Take my dd to school at 6am my ds to school at 7:30am and my youngest walks. Even though i have 3 hours after getting home from dropping ds off. I rarely have time to relax before work. I prep supper and clean, do yard work or other chores. I'm not driving anyone else around either. No thank you
goodygumdrops
by Silver Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 9:44 AM
Honestly you're just going to have to let it roll off and continue with your day. There's always going to be someone who wants what you have. Whether it's your time,car,money...whatever, they will complain and try to make you feel bad. Don't give them that kind of power over you.

I once had an employee who tried to get me into trouble with HR because I refused to pick them up for work everyday. Some people are just entitled.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)