Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Landscape job?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies
Does anyone have an SO who works as a landscaper / grounds maintenance for a forest preserve or a college? (not landscapers that come fix your lawns)

Do they like the job? How much do they get paid? Do they speak Spanish?

My SO is burnt out from his professional job and is tired of the tat race. He's pretty much having a mental breakdown. He wants a physical job where he'll be doing different things daily and learning new skills. He's never done landscaping. I just dont know if he'll get hired because it doesn't seem like he'll fit in and be taken seriously.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 29, 2017 at 10:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 10:21 AM
Buy him a mower and let hm start his own business.
Famousglm714
by Gina on Sep. 29, 2017 at 10:27 AM

My brother does grounds maintenance for a college. He likes it. Awesome benefits and set hours except when it snows heavily. He has to plow in the middle of the night at times but he gets paid a pretty penny for that. He does not speak Spanish. 

It is hard to get in though. My mom retired from the college and got him in. They do hire from outside but they hire from inside first. There's tons of potential to move up too. 

I think he does pretty well but I don't know exactly what he makes. He has a brand new truck, another car and owns a home so he must do okay. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 29, 2017 at 10:37 AM
He needs to just have a job where he's given as task, he does the task, then he's given another task, etc.

Starting his own business would be a huge failure right now.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Buy him a mower and let hm start his own business.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 10:38 AM
Quoting Anonymous 1: He needs to just have a job where he's given as task, he does the task, then he's given another task, etc.

How about getting his CDL license and driving trucks for a freight company. He can work local. They make $$$
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 29, 2017 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this
I think something like that would be good for him. Where we live there are tons of small colleges and forest preserves so maybe he'll have some luck getting tired.
Thanks for your response.

Quoting Famousglm714:

My brother does grounds maintenance for a college. He likes it. Awesome benefits and set hours except when it snows heavily. He has to plow in the middle of the night at times but he gets paid a pretty penny for that. He does not speak Spanish. 

It is hard to get in though. My mom retired from the college and got him in. They do hire from outside but they hire from inside first. There's tons of potential to move up too. 

I think he does pretty well but I don't know exactly what he makes. He has a brand new truck, another car and owns a home so he must do okay. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 29, 2017 at 10:41 AM
Looking at some of the job descriptions he'll need a CDL within a certain amount of time after being hired. And several other things within 6 months, within a year. Etc. Seems like a job like this would get him a bunch of licenses and certifications that he could use in other jobs if he didn't like this one.

Quoting Anonymous 2:
Quoting Anonymous 1: He needs to just have a job where he's given as task, he does the task, then he's given another task, etc.

How about getting his CDL license and driving trucks for a freight company. He can work local. They make $$$
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 10:45 AM
He won't start making good money with a landscape company until he has experience.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 10:49 AM
Quoting Anonymous 1: Looking at some of the job descriptions he'll need a CDL within a certain amount of time after being hired. And several other things within 6 months, within a year. Etc. Seems like a job like this would get him a bunch of licenses and certifications that he could use in other jobs if he didn't like this one.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Yes and some companies train you for free! It's a skill he can work for anyone with and he does it alone mostly. he can work nights or days. Dock work. Union!! Google local Freight companies! GL! My Dh started over at 49! He's so happy now. XO
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 29, 2017 at 11:04 AM
Right now, if he can make 30k that's enough

Quoting Anonymous 3: He won't start making good money with a landscape company until he has experience.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 29, 2017 at 11:05 AM
I'm hopeful this is a good direction for him to go. Thanks!

Quoting Anonymous 2:
Quoting Anonymous 1: Looking at some of the job descriptions he'll need a CDL within a certain amount of time after being hired. And several other things within 6 months, within a year. Etc. Seems like a job like this would get him a bunch of licenses and certifications that he could use in other jobs if he didn't like this one.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Yes and some companies train you for free! It's a skill he can work for anyone with and he does it alone mostly. he can work nights or days. Dock work. Union!! Google local Freight companies! GL! My Dh started over at 49! He's so happy now. XO
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)