Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nostalgia

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2017 at 10:25 AM
  • 7 Replies
Please explain to me how a 9 year old knows what nostalgia is?

We were standing at the bus stop this morning and my son was playing a game electronic thing (he is 6). A 9 year old girl hears the bubble guppy tune and says "oh that takes me back. I'm getting all nostalgic over here."

I'm left going "WHAT?" What could you possibly know about "nostalgia?" How is that in your vocabulary?
by on Sep. 29, 2017 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
ThatDancerGirl
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 10:27 AM
She's a reader? She remembers vocab words?
SlightlyPerfect
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 10:28 AM
My daughter is 8 and knows what it means.
Ginger0104
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 10:28 AM

LOL it's not that big of a word, but I would crack up if a kid that young used it.  At least she used it properly.  

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 10:29 AM

Some kids read a lot (not just kids books either).  By that age, I was reading teen books - so was my oldest daughter.  That's a word that would come up.

Plus, it depends on the parents vocabulary.  I always made it a point to use more "adult" words and explain them to my kids, even early on.

SlightlyPerfect
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 10:31 AM
My daughter is a voracious reader. We went to the Smithsonian one time and she told a scientist all about the biomes he was working in because she had just read some National Geographic book about it. I was like OMG.

Quoting ThatDancerGirl: She's a reader? She remembers vocab words?
Famousglm714
by Gina on Sep. 29, 2017 at 10:31 AM

LOL, cute. I read a lot of books (probably some I shouldn't have been at that age) and was always surprising my family with new words. 

SlightlyPerfect
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 10:32 AM
That's what my husband and I do as well. We are now teaching her how to construct a debate. It's fascinating to watch her mind work.

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Some kids read a lot (not just kids books either).  By that age, I was reading teen books - so was my oldest daughter.  That's a word that would come up.

Plus, it depends on the parents vocabulary.  I always made it a point to use more "adult" words and explain them to my kids, even early on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)