Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Naming child same as someone in family

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 53 Replies
DH and I are expecting our first girl after 3 boys and he told me yesterday he would really like to name her after his sister who's name was Lauren Marie.She passed away when she was 14 and he was 17, they were very close.

Although I do love the name Lauren I have a cousin who has the exact same name. I have always found it a bit tacky and silly naming your kids the same as family members unless of course it is after someone.

We discussed maybe choosing a different middle name and also discussed how I rarely see my cousin. I last saw her last year when we drove 8 hours to see her parents and she happened to be visiting. Before that was about a year at a wedding and before that was about 3 years when our grandfather died so all together in 5 years we've maybe seen each other a handful of times.

Anyone have anyone in thier family with the same names and how do you feel about it? I am due in 6 weeks so we don't have much time to decide on it but DH really wants to do it.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 29, 2017 at 12:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 12:22 PM
My son is Michael, after his dad.
On my side of the family, there are two Michael's (my brother and my uncle). I see my brother often. It's never been an issue.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 12:24 PM
We have 3 Timothy's in my family, 2 Matthew's and 2 Megan's.
Olioxenfree
by Gold Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 12:24 PM
My eldest son's name is Anders, after a family member. It's not a big deal.
Olioxenfree
by Gold Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 12:24 PM
My eldest son's name is Anders, after a family member. It's not a big deal.
QueenBof6
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 12:26 PM
I have the same name as my grandmother and aunt.
I don't think it's a big deal.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 12:26 PM
Its OK if its not old fashioned
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this

There is nothing wrong with naming your child the same name as a family member who you don't see often. I am so sorry for the loss of his sister. It's sweet for him to name your first girl in memory of his sister.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 12:27 PM

shes a cousin.

i think you are safe.

JalynSpoon
by CajunTarHeel on Sep. 29, 2017 at 12:29 PM

Name your child whatever you want, no matter how many people have that name in your family..

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 12:29 PM

Would he accept something similiar, like Laura Mary? (I'm not suggesting that name. Just an example of two closely related names.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)