Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 15 year old smokes pot-WWYD

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 159 Replies
1 mom liked this

Just found a snap chat between my 15 year odl son and his friend saying 'I put some good weed in your bag',

I smelled it two days ago but wasn't exactly sure. Now I am 100% sure!

He is a good kid, not the best student but overall great kid.

I honestly don't know how to bust him. UGH! TEENS!

WWYD?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 29, 2017 at 4:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 4:24 PM
7 moms liked this

Honestly, nothing. I started earlier than that. As long as they're not stealing mine or smoking cigarettes I can't say it would really bother me. UNLESS grades started to slip and they were hanging around with the bad crowd. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 4:26 PM
7 moms liked this

I am not quite there yet but I think I would confiscate it and smoke it. Kidding, but I do smoke and think I would give them the lecture about being safe. I prefer them doing that to drinking.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 4:26 PM
8 moms liked this
Tell him that you're going to start doing random drug tests on him. If he fails he's grounded for a month with no phone, internet, TV, etc and he'll be doing many extra chores.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 29, 2017 at 4:27 PM

My husband smokes, his step dad. But never around him. His REAL dad is a heroin addict.....Im so worried about him slipping into addiction. He's not the greatest in school, but is doing well so far this year. Same 3 friends as always. Added a girlfriend on the cheer squad. IDK

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Honestly, nothing. I started earlier than that. As long as they're not stealing mine or smoking cigarettes I can't say it would really bother me. UNLESS grades started to slip and they were hanging around with the bad crowd. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this

That would worry me too. A lot of people in my town have od'd and died from it. DS is 6 and it terrifies me. I would just really really watch who he hangs out with. I would still have a discussion about the pot though. 

Quoting Anonymous 1:

My husband smokes, his step dad. But never around him. His REAL dad is a heroin addict.....Im so worried about him slipping into addiction. He's not the greatest in school, but is doing well so far this year. Same 3 friends as always. Added a girlfriend on the cheer squad. IDK

Quoting Anonymous 2:

jules2boys
by on Sep. 29, 2017 at 4:30 PM

If my YDS15 was smoking pot I'd lock him down, completely.  No electronic devices, only to/from school, driven by ME, and not home alone anymore.  Sports would be gone, ECs would be gone (school events/commitments), etc.  His teachers/coaches would know why.  Then he'd be at his doctors to get a 'come to Jesus' talk about how that shit will really affect his asthma (he's had it since birth)!  

But then, my kid complains when others smoke around him so I can't imagine him trying it.  He can't stand smoke/smokers.  

If I caught ODS19 smoking, the same would happen for the doctor visit and his asthma but the rest?  He'd lose anyway because my financial contributions to anything 'fun' he has (cell phone, gas money, use of Gmas car (she doesn't drive anymore so he's using her car currently), etc. would be GONE, as would any freedom to come/go from our home he thinks he has.  Locks would be changed and he'd be in by curfew (very early) or he'd be finding a new place to live.  

I don't do drugs, I don't do smoke, this wouldn't come as a surprise to either of my boys though. I've never hidden this fact from them.  (ODS will text me if he's at a friends home who has parents/friends who smoke, so I'll know ahead of time that his clothes will smell, and why - thankfully he's not around friends who smoke weed, or not around them when they are anyway.  But, with his asthma, he wouldn't be able to hide it if HE was smoking it too).  

This said, I actually don't have a problem with pot being legal (I'm in CA) in general, but with my kids and their health, it's a big NO from me... not if I have to deal with the after effects of them making poor choices anyway.  

PrettyWings29
by Caribbean Queen on Sep. 29, 2017 at 4:31 PM
10 moms liked this

Tell him no more smoking unless he shares 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd treat it like anything else I caught my child doing that is illegal. He would be grounded and drug tested, plus we'd be having a very looooong talk.

LuvHugs429
by Silver Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 4:32 PM
4 moms liked this

Sit him down and talk to him about it openly and honestly. Find out when he started, how long he has been doing it and what he gets from it. Don't yell stay calm but ask him not to do it again until he is older and he can definately handle it.  Neither Hubby nor I ever did one illegal drug so I already informed my SIL and BIL I am sending all questions to them. So far my 15 year old swears he is not going to do drugs. I told him if he plans on at least experimenting to please come talk to me first.

hotspice58
by Platinum Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 4:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Honestly:  weed isn't that bad.  The county I live in has the highest rate of heroin overdoses even though we cross every racial, ethnic and economic line.  Be glad it's weed and not a harder drug or alcohol.  My now 16 yo also smokes.  Honestly, it's helped with his anxiety.  But I do agree:  Ugh, teens!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)