Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O naming children after dead relatives

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies
My mom died days before I found I was expecting. I had a girl. I named her after my mom.

She looks just like my mother. I sometimes have to tell relatives not to take over the resemblance. I wonder if it was morbid to name her after my mom.

What do you think?
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 29, 2017 at 5:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
beco8627
by Platinum Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 5:39 PM
It's not morbid
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 5:39 PM
1 mom liked this
That's rather common.
Libby22
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 5:40 PM
I don’t think it’s morbid. I think it’s honoring a loved one. My older son’s middle name is for his deceased uncle.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 5:40 PM

It's normal to name kids after dead relatives. One of my daughters is and if we ever have a son he will be too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 5:41 PM
I wanted to name my second after my dad but dh hated the name Howard. If I ever had a girl I would have named her after my mom but my sister called dibs.
ShesSoUnusual
by Cat on Sep. 29, 2017 at 5:50 PM

My mom's mom died two years before I was born, and I was named after her. I think it's a beautiful gesture and I love being named after her. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 29, 2017 at 5:53 PM
She looks EXACTLY like her. I have to stop relatives from taking her and marveling at the DNA. If we have a person who knew my mom as a child around they go overboard.

Quoting beco8627: It's not morbid
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 6:01 PM
Not morbid. My daughter's middle name is a combo of both of my moms' names.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 6:04 PM
My daughter is named after two deceased great-grandmothers. My sons first name is after a deceased grandfather.
hannmc14
by Gold Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 6:04 PM

My dd is named after my mil and my mother. My mother ended up dying when dd was 7 months old and I am so glad that she has their names. It brings me some comfort that she has a bond with my mom even though she won't be able to remember her. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)