Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom left 4 kids home alone while she went to Germany

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
Four Iowa children found themselves in a real-life Home Alone scenario last week when their mother left them to their own devices to take an 11-day trip to Germany.

Police in Johnston, Iowa conducted a welfare check on Erin Lee Macke's house on September 21 after receiving a tip that her kids - 12-year-old twins (a boy and a girl), a seven-year-old girl and a six-year-old girl - were left alone.

They found that not only had the children been left alone, but that they had been left alone with a gun out in the open.

According to the criminal complaint, Macke left an unloaded Glock 9MM handgun on top of her dresser, next to two magazines - one fully loaded and one partially loaded.

The children told police that their mom had left for Germany the day before, and didn't plan to return until October 1.

When police called Macke abroad, she said that all of her babysitters fell through so she decided to leave the kids home alone.

'Investigators confirmed that Macke had made no arrangements to provide adult supervision or care for the children while she was away,' the police department said.

Police told Macke that was unacceptable and ordered her to return home immediately.

But she only cut her trip short by four days, returning to the U.S. Wednesday night. She was arrested Thursday morning and charged with four counts of child endangerment and one count of making a firearm available to a person under the age of 21.

Iowa Department of Human Services took custody of her children, and they have since been placed with extended family members. The two eldest children are with unspecified family members while the two younger children are with their father.

Macke is being held in lieu of $9,000 bail at the Polk County Jail.

A judge ordered Macke not to contact her children. She is due back in court on October 9.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 29, 2017 at 6:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Sep. 29, 2017 at 6:02 PM

Good...those kids deserve much better. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

momtolittleg
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 6:03 PM
Wow. What a moron.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 6:03 PM
My Mom left me for a month when I was 11 while she went to Egypt lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 6:03 PM
She should never get them back. Idiot!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 6:03 PM

Wtf is wrong with people? Why would you leave your kids alone like that?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 6:04 PM
I was 13 when I started staying home alone with my 6 yr old and 2 year old brothers. I was more than capable of doing it. I took my siblings to daycare where my 6 yr old brother got on the bus for school and then I'd take s taxi from there to school and then home to get them off the bus. The longest I stayed with them was 3 weeks. My parents traveled a lot for business. Schools knew and no one cared cause they knew I was perfectly capable.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 6:05 PM
Wtf was she thinking?
spunky946
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 6:06 PM

Wow what an idiot.

momto2boys973
by Sapphire Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 6:07 PM

Biggest loser award of the year 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 6:10 PM
It's not like they wouldn't have survived...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)