Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Arguing against sexual orientation as a protected class...

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2017 at 7:10 PM
  • 15 Replies
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-administration-says-employers-fire-195610268.html

There is an obvious argument inherent in this article but honestly the part that really made me 😒 was that there is a case that the government is actually arguing on both sides... WTF?
by on Sep. 29, 2017 at 7:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Littlebunnyfufu
by Platinum Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 7:15 PM
B
Littlebunnyfufu
by Platinum Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 7:16 PM
U
Littlebunnyfufu
by Platinum Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 7:16 PM
M
Littlebunnyfufu
by Platinum Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 7:17 PM
P
Littlebunnyfufu
by Platinum Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 7:18 PM
No one?
Littlebunnyfufu
by Platinum Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 7:20 PM
Is it the acronyms? Do I just suck at titles? I swear it's like I couldn't be more terrible at starting a discussion.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 7:22 PM
Because Title VII literally does not cover sexual orientation. One government organization interprets it one way, the other differently. If prior administrations wanted it to include sexual orientation, why didn't they add it? I think it should include sexual orientation and gender - it oisses me off that politicians haven't amended it and instead just took the easy lazy route.

(a) Employer practices
It shall be an unlawful employment practice for an employer—
(1) to fail or refuse to hire or to discharge any individual, or otherwise to discriminate against any individual with respect to his compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment, because of such individual’s race, color, religion, sex, or national origin; or
(2) to limit, segregate, or classify his employees or applicants for employment in any way which would deprive or tend to deprive any individual of employment opportunities or otherwise adversely affect his status as an employee, because of such individual’s race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.
Littlebunnyfufu
by Platinum Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 7:22 PM
I'm totally changing my title to something that sounds trollish
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 7:23 PM
If there is a criminal and civil case then the government (DOJ) prosecutes the criminal matter. In a civil matter the government is being sued and defends itself.
Littlebunnyfufu
by Platinum Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 7:28 PM
The logical argument that's been used and accepted, that if you don't fire a woman for having sex with a man don't fire if it's a man because that's a gender based rule, is still a rational one that I haven't heard a convincing argument against.

The DOJ is saying "sexual conduct" vs "sexual orientation" is basically saying "you can be gay but if you have gay sex that's a different story"

O.0

Quoting Anonymous 1: Because Title VII literally does not cover sexual orientation. If prior administrations wanted it to do so, why didn't they add it? I think it should include sexualmorientation and gender - it oisses me iff that politicians haven't amended it and instead just took the easy lazy route.

(a) Employer practices
It shall be an unlawful employment practice for an employer—
(1) to fail or refuse to hire or to discharge any individual, or otherwise to discriminate against any individual with respect to his compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment, because of such individual’s race, color, religion, sex, or national origin; or
(2) to limit, segregate, or classify his employees or applicants for employment in any way which would deprive or tend to deprive any individual of employment opportunities or otherwise adversely affect his status as an employee, because of such individual’s race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)