Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bring your Bible to school day

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies
My daughter's high school had a Hijab day where all students were encouraged to wear a hijab to teach acceptance of Islam. Some parents are really upset about this because they believe religion should be kept out of public schools and one mother started "bring your bible to school day". I am Christian but I don't think that my daughter should carry around the Bible with her at school. I just don't feel like it makes much sense and I think the mom who created it did so for the wrong reasons. Idk. Would you let your children participate in Hijab day or Bring your Bible to school day?
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 29, 2017 at 9:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 9:04 PM
No. The whole thing seems ridiculous to me. Like, it's an excuse to not have to really teach an understanding of world religions or acceptance.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this
School is for academics, not religion, not politics, not making statements. That's just a small part of why I homeschool.
ladyvamp5489
by on Sep. 29, 2017 at 9:04 PM

My kids would not participate  in that sort of day, but they already take their Bibles they have apps on their phones. They also would not care if others want to wear that stuff, everyone is different and wears different things. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 9:05 PM
So it made sense to have Hijab day? No way in hell would I be ok with that and this mom is trying to prove a point. Did that point go over your head?

I wonder if we can have a Pagan day at school, my daughter would love to share!

Quoting Anonymous 1: My daughter's high school had a Hijab day where all students were encouraged to wear a hijab to teach acceptance of Islam. Some parents are really upset about this because they believe religion should be kept out of public schools and one mother started "bring your bible to school day". I am Christian but I don't think that my daughter should carry around the Bible with her at school. I just don't feel like it makes much sense and I think the mom who created it did so for the wrong reasons. Idk. Would you let your children participate in Hijab day or Bring your Bible to school day?
zboys
by Silver Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 9:05 PM
That's disturbing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 9:06 PM
I think both days are ridiculous. You can’t possibly have a day to represent EVERY religion, as there are so many customs and beliefs out there. Stick to the curriculum within the public school.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 9:07 PM
When I was in jr high and high school I always had a Bible at school. I kept it in my locker and sometimes read it in class when my work was done or occasionally at lunch. No one ever bothered me about it.

My public high school also offered a class called The Bible as Literature which was awesome even for those who did not believe in the message.
LaughCryLive
by Emerald Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 9:08 PM
No to all of it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 9:09 PM
Bring Your Bible to School Day is apparently October 5. It is a Focus on the Family thing.

My kids don't own one. We live in the Bible belt. The constant religion in the classroom is one reason that we homeschool.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Sep. 29, 2017 at 9:09 PM

Yes, if they wanted to participate I would let my children participate in Hijab day or Bible day.  Learning other religions are a great history lesson. This would be a perfect teaching opportunity for the kids to learn about each other's religious history.   

My kids and I have Bible apps on our phones. So, we carry our bibles with us every day.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)