Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I cringe every single time a Christian says this:

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

actually it could be said about every religion,

Interviews have begun with the 1000's of survivors of the Las Vegas mass shooting.

I know no one personally who was there or involved in any way.

This particular interviewee answering the question from the reporter says something like "God saved us. Bullets were flying all around and we were saved ".   

Really god saved you?  Tell us all why god didn't save the 59 other people who were in attendance.  Tell us please why god chose you, saved you or even injured?  go ahead.....tell us.  Are you a better christian than those 59 other people who have already died? What about a better christian than the 100's still in the hospital? do you go to church more often than those 59 other people who have already died? what is it about you that you honestly believe puts you in gods favor? why would god choose YOU and not the beloved school teacher, the pollice officer, the decorated veteran, the young mother of 3 boys, and on and on and on it goes 56 more times.  Please tell us, tell me I NEED TO KNOW WHY god chose you

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 3, 2017 at 5:37 PM
Replies (211-215):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 62 on Oct. 5, 2017 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this
People need to have something specific to cite as the reason they were spared, because to say it was pure Dumb luck only intensifies the survivors guilt. They can't say luck did it, luck is to abstract a concept.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 59 on Oct. 5, 2017 at 11:13 AM
No. I am merely saying you are putting stipulations on one type of coping mechanisms and not others. It isn't directly related to Christianity, but rather you deciding what is and isn't appropriate behavior for a person dealing with a traumatic event. It isnt compassionless to state out loud that you feel God/spirits/life force/etc spared you, just as it isn't compassionless to say that they just got lucky.

Considering the entire post is about Christianity, I am not sure what you expected. My examples were relevant to the topic at hand. It could have been a Muslim, Jew, or any other religion saying that God saved them, and my opinion wouldn't change. It is their right to say it out loud, even in front of other victims, without being called compassionless. You have an issue with their faith bringing them comfort but don't stop to consider that other's blaming God or denying him isn't just as hurtful to them. Telling someone their God doesn't care about them is just as compassionless.

Quoting Anonymous 20:

If you think I'm making an anti-Christian statement then I have to back out of this, because in my experience the moment someone determines Christianity is being attacked all logic, reason, and yes, compassion, goes out the window. 

I am not doing that in the least, but again, past experience teaches me there will be no convincing otherwise. 

Have a nice day. 

Quoting Anonymous 59: I don't think saying it goes against being a good, kind, compassionate Christian, though, even if I myself would never say it. If they truly believe God still has a plan for them here on Earth, but that he called others Home to him, it isn't going to be something they would consider offensive or feel the need to censure. Insisting that a person (who is still processing the same pain, fear, anger, confusion, and loss as everyone else) does not have the right express their honest feelings or cope in public the way they see fit is telling them they are not allowed to feel that way. If others are allowed to grieve in the manner best for them, in public, why can't Christians?

Quoting Anonymous 20:

I would expect someone who feels God saved them to not say it directly in front of or to the family of someone who died in the same incident. That's really what I'm saying. Not that someone is not allowed to feel that way, but only that if they are truly the good christian folk they purport to be, loving and compassionate as Jesus taught, then they wouldn't want to claim something like that in front of, or with, people who lost someone in the same moments. 

It is not repression of feelings or denying them the ability to process their experience for them to be aware of whom they are talking to or near. 

Quoting Anonymous 59: What would you expect a Christian to say or do, though, who truly believes God saved them? They might be just as equally offended/deeply hurt if someone told them there is no God and that he didn't save you. That they were just lucky. So they need to shut up and stop offending people with their nonsense? Your basicall saying the believer should repress their feelings for the sake of others. It is the same situation for both sides, unfortunately. How would they express themselves more compassionately without denying their own beliefs and suppressing their own need for comfort and understanding? Without hindering their own processing amd grief?

I've never taken offense by someone saying that because I know that that is their way of healing and coming to terms with tragedy. It is not kind or compassioate to take that from them, either.

Quoting Anonymous 20:

Are you suggesting that people who are hurt should try not hurting so a person acting insensitively does not have to confront their own actions? 

I'm curious what your reacction would be to someone who says, "I know you mean well, but your statement is hurtful to me."

Would you ignore them, tell them not to take insult because you meant well, or attempt to understand what is hurtful about whatever you said and try to express yourself in a more compassionate way? From your responses here, it seems you would do the first or second. But, if kindness and sensitivity works in both directions as you claim, you would choose the third option, correct? 

Quoting Anonymous 8: Kindness and sensitivity works in both directions.

Quoting Anonymous 20:

I agree. People really don't seem to care if they offend or hurt others with their words, and when it is pointed out to them they have a tendency to lash out and blame the other person for being "so sensitive" when they are clearly in pain. 

A bit of kindness and sensitivity would go so far in this world. 

Quoting romalove:

The "you" is the general you.

People don't have to be kind or considerate, and they usually aren't.  You can have any feelings or beliefs you want.

And someone else can think that those beliefs or feelings are harmful to others.  

It's unfortunate that some don't care if what they express hurts others.

::shrugs::

Quoting Anonymous 8: I haven't expressed what I would say at all. I wasn't even there.

And we can't go around on eggshells because we might offend other people even if we don't mean to. If we arent actually making the implications you claim, its unfortunate that some may incorrectly interpret it that way. But that doesn't mean our feelings and beliefs are bad or wrong to have.

Quoting romalove:

Yes

I know how this works.

What would help is if people would make sense and understand that their words have meanings.

If you believe that in a mass casualty event that God saves some and not others, and are grateful that God chose to save you or your loved ones, you are implying that those that didn't survive were not saved by God (since he clearly can intercede if he wants to).  That will hurt people who are God believers, that he would save some and not others.

But you do you.  If you're good with making others feel bad so that you can feel better, then go on with your bad self.

Quoting Anonymous 8: Sure. And I can express whatever the heck I want to in response to that as well. See how that works?

Quoting romalove: Anyone can believe anything they want to, apparently. And those people can think they were special and worthy and saved.

But they don't get to determine how that makes the people who weren't special and worthy and saved, or their friends and families, or from them commenting on how they process such expressions.

Quoting Anonymous 8: No, you don't "need to know."

They can believe what they want to about the traumatic thing that happened to them and not you. You weren't there. They aren't hating anyone by saying that.

happinessforyou
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2017 at 11:21 AM

If that is true... those that were "divinely saved" better freaking cure cancer or Aids if they were so damn "special"... lmao

dianepix
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2017 at 2:46 PM

Well said.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 63 on Oct. 6, 2017 at 12:21 PM

Because is in their belief they were spared by a divine intervention. Obvioulsy no one can't explain why, so they chose God as their savior. As you know God gets blamed fo the Good and Bad on this earth. Humans can't take resposiblity of thier actions

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)