Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I blanket train minus the hitting

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I think kids should start learning how to behave at a young age. It’s good to set standards from the start imo.

So we do blanket training but instead of hitting them, we just get sternly say no and place the baby back on the blanket.

It has worked for our 4 children. Do you still think blanket training is bad if no hitting is involved?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 11, 2017 at 2:37 PM
Replies (241-247):
JulesFairy
by on Oct. 13, 2017 at 5:25 AM
I have a problem with blanket training because the methods I have seen ( put baby on blanket, wntice them off blanket with toys or shiny things, punish them when they leave the blanket) destroys trust and their own sense of what to do. You are correct, they learn to obey their parents above all else. And obedience like that is not a healthy frame of mind for an adult who is on their own. So somewhere between infant and adult, you have to undo that obedience above all else, and teach them their own sense of choice and balancing of choices & consequences again. Not to mention, screwing with the internal need to trust Mom and Dad when you lure them off the blanket just to punish them if they leave it. No, I will dedicate the few years to teaching my kids choices and consequences and balancing safety and listening to your parents.
mommytoeandb
by Ruby Member on Oct. 13, 2017 at 6:28 AM
I just can't wrap my mind around the concept. Kids can be taught to listen without a physical prompt.

At what age do you ditch the blanket?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 53 on Oct. 13, 2017 at 6:33 AM
Wtf.....
Olioxenfree
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2017 at 7:51 AM
A blankets a lot easier to carry around than a playpen, even a portable one. They learn very quickly.

Quoting Boogiefly:

A playpen serves the same purpose....they have portable ones too. I dont see a difference betwee  the blanket and a playpen accept you dont have to tell them no and have to put them back. The blanket sounds harder.

Quoting Olioxenfree:

I did too. I have never hit my kids. I just taught them that the blanket was their play space. When they left the blanket, I redirected and moved them back on. It has always been a huge help, so if I need to get something done I can put them on the blanket with toys and they will stay there. I can bring my older kids to the park and set the little ones on a blanket and they will play there. It gives them more space to play so I don't have to put them in a seat to keep them contained when I need them to stay in one place.

As for all of the people saying "they are kids, they have to explore the world", I am sure that your 1-2 year olds are not allowed to constantly go wherever they want to go. It isn't like my kids never leave the blanket. They spent a lot of time exploring the world, with me beside them. But, I can not always have a hand on them 24/7, so this helped when I needed them to be contained.

lizzistardust
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2017 at 3:25 PM
It's not the message I would want to send to my kids, but it's not inherently wrong (as long as you don't hit or scare them in the process). "Obedient" isn't necessarily one of the qualities we want in our children.

I mean, do we get annoyed if they don't do what we ask the first time? Sure, and we're having to work on it with our youngest (4), who has a defiant streak. But they also seem to have context when we tell them to do things. Maybe they don't immediately go get their pajamas on when told to, but they immediately snap to attention when we say "stop" in a public place, for example. That shows me that they are aware that some of our "commands" are about their safety or wellbeing, and they trust us... but also that they know they aren't going to die because I take their tablets away and repeat my request that they put on pajamas. :)
aj_mom
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2017 at 4:56 PM

Its your child and it works for you thats great. I like that you are not hitting your child for getting off the blanket.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 54 on Oct. 13, 2017 at 4:58 PM
Fuck this nonsense
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)