Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you know ANYTHING about homeowners insurance....

Posted by   + Show Post
My 10 year old son brought a metal paint can in the house and set it on the wood burning stove that was going. I really was not looking because I was making dinner. Long story short the can exploded and hot, boiling pain went everywhere..... the off white Berber carpets.... the custom mirror....several walls, the ceiling, the actual wood burning stove....one of the leather couches.... the kitchen chairs.... the hardwoods.... some artwork.... the flat screen.....

Do you think homeowners insurance covers something like this????
by on Oct. 13, 2017 at 12:01 AM
Replies (61-62):
bleumonster
by Sapphire Member on Oct. 13, 2017 at 10:05 AM
Thank goodness. I hope they cover it.

Quoting 5BHaileyMom: I have a small burn on my arm and the cat has dot or two paint on his fur but that is all, Thank God.

Quoting bleumonster: It should. You will have to pay for the deductible and your rates might rise. Damn that kid would be scraping some paint. Was anyone hurt?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 13, 2017 at 10:34 AM
Do you have leftover paint? That's touch up work and maybe a magic eraser will pull some off.

Aerosol hairspray took paint out of a shirt I spilled on. A good carpet cleaner may be able to take care of the fabric areas for a couple hundred dollars.

I would be willing to bet a lot of it could be done yourself if you Google "how to get paint out of ________."

My bff's brand new Tahoe got spray painted by a group of teenagers. They googled it and found out that nail polish remover would take it off. It did and didn't even strip the paint.

Toothpaste took sharpie off of my kitchen table.

I'm just saying there are a lot of life hacks that may save you a lot of money, a claim and possible insurance hikes.

Good luck.

Quoting 5BHaileyMom: The couch is new and over 4 grand. The exploding paint hit 3 great room walls, plus 2 nook walls, the hall wall, and ceilings. It was around $3300 when I had those painted at move in. The carpet could probably just be done in the great room if the seems were done well but that’s 400+ sq feet at $40-something a yard.... unless it can be cleaned. Even if the hardwood in the kitchen/nook can be saved any thinner would eat the finish and refinishing is not cheap. The mirror itself can be cleaned but I am not sure about the wood on the frame.

Quoting Anonymous 4: Any chance you can post some pictures? Why $15,000? There are ways to get paint out of things but I have no experience with billing paint.

Quoting 5BHaileyMom: I would guesstimate that there is at least $15,000 in damage so....

Quoting Anonymous 3: Yes it should. You will be responsible for the deductible and then they will either drop you or significantly raise your rates
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)