Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How about you be a parent before running to the doctor?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I have been a teacher for many years.

When I beganN my career when I called parent with concerns about a child they would talk to the child and work with him or her at home. Now it seems like almost every call I make the answer is that every issue is caused by a disorder.

Self control, focus and social skills are all things that can be difficult for kids with disorders. But they are also all skills that need to be learned and practiced.
I am so depressed at how frequently parents respond to run of the mill problems with the assumption that it's something that requires medication or then child is unable to improve.

This year 1/3 of my class has some sort of diagnosis. It's out of hand.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 15, 2017 at 8:36 AM
Replies (381-384):
by Anonymous 104 on Oct. 18, 2017 at 2:56 AM
ADHD is often hereditary. Which means with each generation, it’s going to become more prevalent. I wouldn’t have gotten through school without medication and two out of my three children are also on adhd medication. They are so absentminded that at 8 and 10 years old, they will still literally step out in front of a moving vehicle because they don’t have the capacity to pay attention. On medication, they are absolutely typical kids. Unmedicated, they are wildly out of control. When they have children, there’s a strong chance their kids will have adhd. So my two adhd kids could bring 4 or more adhd kids into the world. The number will continue to rise until scientists find a way to activate the prefrontal cortex of an adhd brain an cure it.
by Anonymous 105 on Oct. 21, 2017 at 11:04 PM

I have issues with people who don't believe these disorders and mental issues are real. My daughter has had issues since birth. She was discipline when needed. She was taught chores and responsibilities along with her brothers who had no issues. She has struggled since birth and has had to work twice as hard as her brothers to get where she is today. She is currently 17 yrs old and if she takes her medicine like it is prescribed she has fewer issues. You would think there was nothing wrong with her but being a brat. However, that's not the case. She was bullied to the point a kid threw a crumbled up condom box at the back of her head while she was sitting alone at lunch. Because they thought she was faking it. I got the local police involved in that incident. 

Granted, there are some parents who refuse to discipline their kids, teach them manners, or teach them how to behave and respect others. That type of parenting makes it harder on the children who really do struggle with disorders or mental issues. 

by Member on Oct. 22, 2017 at 6:11 PM
Amen sister! But I have the opposite problem, I have teachers labeling my kids and my sisters have had teachers labeling their kids too. One teacher said that maybe my son was schizophrenic last year, we took care of it though. My older sister was a special-ed teacher for years and she sees it too, it seems like everyone labels everyone these days!!!
by Anonymous 106 on Oct. 24, 2017 at 2:43 AM
So 1/3 of children is acceptable to you? Whether it be ADD or what have you, you think the first step should be medicating our children? Or do you think we should first try therapy, actually going through homework with our children and showing them how to do the things they're working on, working through social problems WITH them ... can you elaborate?

Quoting Anonymous 2: Or.....we've caught up medically to what's really going on with kids abd are helping them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)