Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to deal with lice - I promise this works!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 34 Replies

Get Lice MD.  It's 100% non-toxic and should be available at Walmart or your local drug store.  (You can also get it cheap on Amazon.  I bought a 2-pack.)  It looks like this:

LiceMD Head Lice Treatment Kit, 4 oz

That is your first line of defense.  The comb that comes with it is pretty terrible, so you need to buy a good lice comb, like this:

Nit Free Terminator Lice Comb,  Professional Stainless Steel Louse and Nit Comb for Head Lice Treatment, Removes Nits

You can order one from Amazon.  THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT.

Now, here are the instructions.  You must follow them or you'll never get rid of the lice completely.

You must put the Lice MD on your child's head, following the directions.  You will do this on Day 1, Day 6 and Day 12 . . . it's super important to do the comb-outs on each of those days.  Use some hair clips and section off the hair.  You have to comb through EVERY strand of hair, wiping off the comb each time to get out the nits and eggs and lice.  My daughter has hair past her shoulders, thick and curly.  It took me over 2 hours the first time.  Take your time and do it right. 

You have to do it three times to interrupt the life cycle of lice, otherwise, they'll just hatch and start all over again. Day 1, Day 6 and Day 12. 

You also have to do every person in the household . . . otherwise, they'll just spread again. So if you have other kids, do them, too. 

Here are two links that have information you should know.

Lice Facts

Lice FAQs

Lice cannot live if they are not on a human head and either can the nits, so you don't have to go crazy cleaning.  (Washing the bedding and freezing combs/hairbrushes overnight will help, though.  Read those links for more info.) 

The absolute most important part is the comb-outs on Day 1, Day 6 and Day 12.

(You're welcome for this random info.  My daughter had lice once--and only once--and this method worked for us.)

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 16, 2017 at 4:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 16, 2017 at 4:34 PM
Omg thank you so much. Now I am going to be scratching my head all night.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 16, 2017 at 4:36 PM
Never used it, but thanks for the heads up. Just in case.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 16, 2017 at 4:37 PM
Blue star ointment slathered overnight works too.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 16, 2017 at 4:43 PM
Nix Ultra works too, available at any drug or discount store. Most otc treatments will work if you use the stupid comb enough lol.
HaloSue
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2017 at 4:46 PM
There's a electronic lice comb too. It kills on contact they say.
blondieinva80
by Gold Member on Oct. 16, 2017 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this
No,your first line of defense is tea tree oil, which will help prevent lice.
NikLvsNick
by Gold Member on Oct. 16, 2017 at 6:08 PM

Mine use coconut shampoo with a few drops of tea tree oil added. The only times they have had lice was when we switched their shampoo when they were younger.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 17, 2017 at 3:08 AM

Ha ha!  You're welcome!

Quoting Anonymous 2: Omg thank you so much. Now I am going to be scratching my head all night.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 17, 2017 at 3:09 AM

True.

Wha'ts nice about Lice MD, though, is that it's non-toxic.  Do you really want to put pesticides on your kids' heads?  I don't.

Quoting Anonymous 5: Nix Ultra works too, available at any drug or discount store. Most otc treatments will work if you use the stupid comb enough lol.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 17, 2017 at 3:10 AM

Lice travel from head to head . . . I don't think they care too much about what kind of shampoo you use but if it works for you, that's great!

Quoting NikLvsNick:

Mine use coconut shampoo with a few drops of tea tree oil added. The only times they have had lice was when we switched their shampoo when they were younger.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)