Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Martial arts

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies

I started karate at age 8 and became a black belt when I was 15. Only my closest friends knew and I didn't advertise it. When I was 12 another girl and I had a tiff about something at it escalated. She had a reputation for being a read bad ass. Another girl pushed her into me and she made fists as she bumped into my stomach. I told her not to do it again. Of course, she did. It took me 3 seconds and she was down on her back, She hopped up and I took her down again when she rushed me. She got a couple of wild swings in but nothing too bad. Needless to say I won the fight. Both our  parents had to come to school. Her parents were saying I was being too rough. There were witnesses who said she started it. We both ended up in ISS for 3 days and having to write a 2 page apology and a paper about fighting. My parents taught me to defend myself and try to walk away. But after the first "punch/hit" don't stop until someone pulls me off. It didn't come to that with her. My younger brother also took martial arts and is a black belt as well..My kids are in karate as well. They are 9 and 11. Some parents are saying it is too violent. I believe in being able to defend yourself and it is good exercise. Do you think it is too violent?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 16, 2017 at 9:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 16, 2017 at 9:43 PM
I think it can be. I pulled ds from a class where it was you take the first punch if they look at you funny and don't stop until they are unable to get up no matter what.
Now he's in a self defense kick boxing class where first you tell someone who wants to physically harm you to leave you alone. If you can get out of the situation do it but if not defend yourself hard until you can.
So it depends.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Oct. 16, 2017 at 9:46 PM

Mobile Photo

DS is a green belt in Kenpo and an orange belt in Shorin Ryu karate and he knows he's NEVER allowed to start a fight but ALWAYS allowed to finish one.

He won two gold medals this weekend as a matter of fact!!!
Geeez17
by Emerald Member on Oct. 16, 2017 at 9:51 PM
Quoting Anonymous 2: I think it can be. I pulled ds from a class where it was you take the first punch if they look at you funny and don't stop until they are unable to get up no matter what.
Now he's in a self defense kick boxing class where first you tell someone who wants to physically harm you to leave you alone. If you can get out of the situation do it but if not defend yourself hard until you can.
So it depends.

What type of classes was he taking that they teach you to throw the first punch if someone looks at you funny, Thugs R Us?!? No seriously who was teaching them that?
KoiKamsahamnida
by Gold Member on Oct. 16, 2017 at 9:55 PM

I do not believe it is too rough. Lily and I are high brown belts in Tang Soo Do... we WOULD be testing for our Black belts this weekend but... well... 6 months ago we would have tested for our conditional black belts but I failed my test because of my damn epilepsy. Lily wouldn't test without me. Then I had to have surgery last month... we couldnt test again and she wouldnt test without me again. She just wont get her belt without me. But she has gotten 1st place in sparring, and 3rd in forms. We will be going to another tournament next month. I'm determined to place dammit lol! We go to an incredible school, our teacher is from Korea. I think martial arts can be incredible and really help kids out!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 16, 2017 at 9:57 PM
Both of my boys have been in Tae Kwon do for 9 years and also started going to MMA class a few months ago. I believe martial arts is very good for kids as it teaches them discipline as well as self defense.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 16, 2017 at 10:00 PM
What the hell kind of ghetto class teaches kids to throw the first punch?!? The Tae Kwon do class my kids go to teaches the opposite and as a matter of fact, if their teacher finds out that they were in a fight that they instigated, they get kicked out.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I think it can be. I pulled ds from a class where it was you take the first punch if they look at you funny and don't stop until they are unable to get up no matter what.
So it depends.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 16, 2017 at 10:00 PM
Karate is nothing but black belt factories now. My kids do muai thay and jitsu as well as a few Chinese are like northern Shaolin. Karate is overrated
cookiemonster77
by Gold Member on Oct. 16, 2017 at 10:01 PM

If someone came at my kid and he defended himself there’s no way I would even let  him write an apology letter. Then again, my school wouldn’t even suggest it. My son wa bullied on the bus, he punched the kid back when he came at him a second time and it was caught on video. My son was not reprimanded by the school and the bully got a suspension.

Cali-Zona
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2017 at 10:02 PM
ODD is 9 & is in Taekwondo. She’s a current state champ in sparring/combat sparring & weapons. I think when taught correctly then it’s not as violent as people believe. They’re not trained to be rough with each other, but they are trained to defend themselves with force if necessary. Last year ODD defended herself against a bully who shoved her to the ground. He hasn’t touched her since. She doesn’t make a big show of her training. Very few of her classmates know she trains.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 16, 2017 at 10:04 PM
Tae Kwan do is shitty too my cousin is a world championship and trained in Korea under a master there. He said everyone bastardized it and his kids will learn real tae Kwan do not the states watered down black belt factories.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)