Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You're mixed, you are NOT black!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 45 Replies
This has been bugging me for a couple days. A co-worker of mine has a young cousin who posted a picture of herself on instagram with a caption about about her being black. She is biracial but very light skinned.
What bugs me about my friend's cousin's situation is how this 30 something year old woman reacted to this 12 year old. She immediatly told the girl that she was not black so stop trying to be something sje wasn't.
When the 12 year old told her that she was biracial and she was in fact part black the woman lashed back saying that she had no right claiming she was black because she was mixed and therefore she was not black. That she had no idea what black people go through on a daily basis and she needed to check her privilege. The 12 year old kept her cool but 30 something year old women just kept snapping back even when other people called her on her ignorance. My friend showed it to me at work.
I think the real reason it bugs me is that it was a 30 something, supposedly grown ass woman, jumping on a 12 year old who posted a picture that showed something she was proud of that was relevant to her being biracial. The ignorance of this woman boggles my mind.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 16, 2017 at 11:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 16, 2017 at 11:42 PM
7 moms liked this
12 isn’t too young to learn that there are crazy ass people on social media looking for a fight. Lesson learned.

And bravo to her for keeping her cool.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 16, 2017 at 11:42 PM
3 moms liked this
I think just as gender people should feel to express the race they identify with freely without judgement.
Southe
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2017 at 11:44 PM
Congrats to the 12 year olds parents who taught her respect and not get pressured by bullies.

Who gives an ass about her race. She seems like a cool kid
maliksmama2
by Gold Member on Oct. 16, 2017 at 11:45 PM
1 mom liked this
There's always a chance for something like that to happen when you post anything online. *shrug
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 16, 2017 at 11:46 PM

My grandkids are mixed and demand that you see them as being black.

Room2Breathe
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2017 at 11:48 PM
I would have gone off on that woman. My niece and nephew are biracial. They are beautiful and even though they are lighter skinned, they are being raised by their very black father and his family. They identify as black. People just need to mind their own business
ELKmountain.mom
by Peepers on Oct. 16, 2017 at 11:53 PM

That is rather stupid, I mean I am not full anything but I relate to my heritage. I am just nothing because I am only part Italian or part Jewish?

She is black, she is white, she maybe Greek or Indian too. It would be wrong to "raise" her only black or only white or only anything. She is who she is and without being told who she should be will grow into a wondeful person of her own.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 16, 2017 at 11:57 PM
Maybe, to an extent, it also bugged me because my oldest dd is mixed and very light as well due to me being so pale many believe her to be my husband's bio child due to her complexion and they both have dark hair and eyes. He is white and Asian. My ex was also part Asian so they have the same eye shape as well. She embraces her entire self black, white and Asian. So this ignorance is concerning coming from a grown person with such hatred toward a child.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 16, 2017 at 11:57 PM
That bitch is crazy. The child is legally Black or legally Caucasian. She can identify with either race.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 17, 2017 at 12:06 AM

I have a similar feeling to the thirty year old but certainly not that strong.

I have been told if you have one drop of black blood then you are black.  Then I may be black IDK.  But it is simply not so.

I am aproximately 1/8 NA  am I  a native American Indian.  No I am not.  I share some blood.  If you look in a certain light from the side and I am not smiling  AND you are aware of my heritage you would go OH I see it now.  But no one whould mistake me normally.  I am mixted with just about every race and location.  I am simply me.

This girl is biracial and may actually be more white than black since she is so light skinned.  She could be half and half.  But she is not black in reality.  I would lay odds that there are very few pure black people unless they have immigrated in the last several years.

Does it matter?  Is it worth berating some one or calling them on it?  IMO no it isn't and for me would be a passing flicker across my brain.  BUT  I am not very datk and I do not live in the worst parts of town either.

Her perspective is hers and also has validity.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)