Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dog in Movie Theaters... ETA

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2017 at 4:21 AM
  • 157 Replies
I have an Emotional Support Dog, she is a Teacup Chihuahua. I’ve brought her with me to many places, including doctors offices, grocery stores, Walmart and other department stores, even restaurants, and the zoo. I’ve also taken her to the movie theater three times. She is an extremely active and crazy dog at home, barking at outdoor notices all the time. I carry her in an arm sling that I sewed the open end shut so it’s a perfect pouch for her to sit in.
When she is in her pouch she is quiet and well behaved. She rarely makes a sound, no matter how long we’re out.

I would like to hear your thoughts on this subject. How do you feel about Emotional Support animals being brought into the places I’ve mentioned? Also, have you ever had a bad experience with an Emotional Support Animal?

As of 10/20/2017 I WILL NO LONGER BE RESPONDING TO ANY NEW COMMENTS.
I have enough opinions.
Thank you to those who shared their opinion, (whether you agree with me or not), without calling me names, I honestly learned a few things from some of you. To the others, whatever.

by on Oct. 17, 2017 at 4:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 17, 2017 at 4:29 AM
2 moms liked this

No your support animal shouldn't be going to the zoo. Thats the only thing people shouldn't take them.

I always wonder why people have to take them out everywhere with them. My son has adhd and sensory issues and he has a dog. We don't take it everywhere as a right. We leave her at home and just take her where everyone takes dogs.

And yes I've had a bad experience with someone's so called support dog attacked my son's dog and she was covered in dog bites, costing us thousands. Our dog cost 20k to train, some people just get a dog and call it a support dog.

left.drowning
by Fix Me on Oct. 17, 2017 at 4:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Not touching this one.
Neko_Nightstar
by Gold Member on Oct. 17, 2017 at 4:47 AM
4 moms liked this

Emotional support dogs aren't allowed to go out in public. Only SERVICE dogs are. I have a service dog in training and she goes with me pretty much everywhere. I have not attempted a movie yet because I don't trust her to sit still that long, and plus I haven't really had a movie I was interested in going too since I got her. 

Neko_Nightstar
by Gold Member on Oct. 17, 2017 at 4:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree that the OP needs to leave the dog at home. An emotional support dog is not the same as a service dog. I have a service dog that I take everywhere with me. There is no reason why she shouldn't go to the zoo. In fact, one of the few places I have ever taken her where no one has given me any dirty looks or questioned me (beyond the person at the ticket gate asking if she was a service dog). She absolutely loves the zoo. She gets so excited as soon as we pull into the parking lot and immediately wants to run to the elephants, because they are her favorites for some reason. 

The thing about ES dogs is that they do not require any kind of training. That is why they tend to act up. Once I saw a woman in a wheelchair with a dog at Walmart and he tried to attack my dog. It pissed me off. That is not a service dog. That is a poorly trained pet. She didn't even try to correct the dog or get him under control, nor did she apologize. 

Legally you have the right to train your own dog, which is what I am doing. I can't afford $20,000 for a service dog, since I am disabled and unable to work. She does very well with handling my anxiety attacks but we are still working on discipline, which mostly will come with age when she calms down. For example, she gets very excited when people approach her and she tends to try to jump up. Then when I try to correct her and make her sit, they will say "Oh, it's ok" and pet her, which only reinforces the bad behavior. She is still easily distracted but it usually doesn't take much to get her back on task. She doesn't have an aggressive bone in her body and absolutely loves everyone of any age, gender, or species. Once, when I was at my autism doctor, there was a little boy (5-6) in the waiting room who was staring at the floor, rocking, muttering to the blocks in his hand. Maggy crawled right into his arms and, even though he was surprised at first, his face lit up into a huge grin and he gave her a big hug and kiss. His mother was almost in tears. I honestly wondered if it was the first time she had ever seen him smile. She said she would look into getting him a service dog as well. 

Quoting Anonymous 1:

No your support animal shouldn't be going to the zoo. Thats the only thing people shouldn't take them.

I always wonder why people have to take them out everywhere with them. My son has adhd and sensory issues and he has a dog. We don't take it everywhere as a right. We leave her at home and just take her where everyone takes dogs.

And yes I've had a bad experience with someone's so called support dog attacked my son's dog and she was covered in dog bites, costing us thousands. Our dog cost 20k to train, some people just get a dog and call it a support dog.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 17, 2017 at 3:09 PM

I don't take to the zoo, at all, I'm not American, we can't just call our pets service dogs, to get that title we have to apply and get a actual service dog, like someone would get a guide dog etc.

Quoting Neko_Nightstar:

I agree that the OP needs to leave the dog at home. An emotional support dog is not the same as a service dog. I have a service dog that I take everywhere with me. There is no reason why she shouldn't go to the zoo. In fact, one of the few places I have ever taken her where no one has given me any dirty looks or questioned me (beyond the person at the ticket gate asking if she was a service dog). She absolutely loves the zoo. She gets so excited as soon as we pull into the parking lot and immediately wants to run to the elephants, because they are her favorites for some reason. 

The thing about ES dogs is that they do not require any kind of training. That is why they tend to act up. Once I saw a woman in a wheelchair with a dog at Walmart and he tried to attack my dog. It pissed me off. That is not a service dog. That is a poorly trained pet. She didn't even try to correct the dog or get him under control, nor did she apologize. 

Legally you have the right to train your own dog, which is what I am doing. I can't afford $20,000 for a service dog, since I am disabled and unable to work. She does very well with handling my anxiety attacks but we are still working on discipline, which mostly will come with age when she calms down. For example, she gets very excited when people approach her and she tends to try to jump up. Then when I try to correct her and make her sit, they will say "Oh, it's ok" and pet her, which only reinforces the bad behavior. She is still easily distracted but it usually doesn't take much to get her back on task. She doesn't have an aggressive bone in her body and absolutely loves everyone of any age, gender, or species. Once, when I was at my autism doctor, there was a little boy (5-6) in the waiting room who was staring at the floor, rocking, muttering to the blocks in his hand. Maggy crawled right into his arms and, even though he was surprised at first, his face lit up into a huge grin and he gave her a big hug and kiss. His mother was almost in tears. I honestly wondered if it was the first time she had ever seen him smile. She said she would look into getting him a service dog as well. 

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Neko_Nightstar
by Gold Member on Oct. 17, 2017 at 5:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Ok. You can't just call a pet a service dog here either. You have to have a disability and the dog has to be trained to do something specific to help their handler. I am training my dog to help ground me when I have panic attacks. That used to be the law here but they changed it because it was so expensive and the average disabled person couldn't afford it. 

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I don't take to the zoo, at all, I'm not American, we can't just call our pets service dogs, to get that title we have to apply and get a actual service dog, like someone would get a guide dog etc.

Quoting Neko_Nightstar:

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 17, 2017 at 5:35 PM
10 moms liked this
Emotional support animals are fucking ridiculous.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 17, 2017 at 5:37 PM
7 moms liked this
I think “emotional support animals” are a crock of shit.

*and taking your dog into a movie is a dumb ass idea. Some people are allergic to animal dander. Have some fucking common sense and courtesy.
Sassy762
by 200 on Oct. 17, 2017 at 5:37 PM
5 moms liked this

That is illegal and disgusting. Only SERVICE DOGS are allowed into businesses. I would have your ass thrown out and notify the Health Depaertment

ReedusStalker
by 11-15/3-27 on Oct. 17, 2017 at 5:38 PM
9 moms liked this
I think emotional support animals are stupid and I love animals. You need to figure out to cope like an adult. That dog is going to die before you.

And to be honest, I don't care about your excuses or whatever bullshit you're going to quote me with
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)