Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Yeah I am not correcting that behavior

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
My female German Shepherd is the leader of our 3 dogs.

If she has a treat she feels is very valuable she will not let the others near it. Now I can take it from her, so can DH and the kids no issue.

But if my other 2 dogs try to take it it's Game Over. She does not bite, snap or growl, but she kind of makes this "back off" noise and lunges at them a little. Not a full on lunge just enough to let them know that is her treat and to back off. The other 2 will get the same thing, eat theirs quickly and try to take hers but she won't let them.

My Mom thinks I should correct that behavior. I say she is being a typical alpha. An alpha will be quick to put others in their place the way she does. She is not attacking them. If she did I'd correct it but she just makes a noise (can't really explain it) and lunges slightly at them as her way of saying back off.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 17, 2017 at 7:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WickedOpal
by Ruby Member on Oct. 17, 2017 at 7:55 AM
Ok
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 17, 2017 at 7:56 AM
1 mom liked this
She isn't being violent, she is just staking out her claim. Normal dog behavior. I don't blame you for not correcting it, as there's nothing to correct in this situation.
KeepOnTryin
by Melissa on Oct. 17, 2017 at 7:57 AM
She hasn't hurt anyone. I'm with you. I don't see the problem.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 17, 2017 at 7:58 AM
1 mom liked this
I can see why your mom would think that any act of aggression or dominance should be corrected but your house, your dog.
Kyndall30
by Gold Member on Oct. 17, 2017 at 7:58 AM
German Shepherds are one of my favorite breeds♡♡♡♡♡

She's not doing anything wrong, she's asserting her position.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 17, 2017 at 8:00 AM
She is a dog and that’s part of their nature. I don’t see any issue with it. My German snapped at our puppy because he was tired of the pup taking his food. I just left it alone and the pup learned to not go after his food. As long as she isn’t doing it to you and the kids there is no issue.
mrsmom110
by NO on Oct. 17, 2017 at 8:00 AM

Agreed.  Remind your mom that she exhibits the behavior toward the other dogs and not her human family.  That's important. 

Quoting Anonymous 2: She isn't being violent, she is just staking out her claim. Normal dog behavior. I don't blame you for not correcting it, as there's nothing to correct in this situation.

goldpandora
by Ruby Member on Oct. 17, 2017 at 8:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, that shows that she knows exactly where she stands in the pecking order and THAT is important. 

Quoting mrsmom110:

Agreed.  Remind your mom that she exhibits the behavior toward the other dogs and not her human family.  That's important. 

Quoting Anonymous 2: She isn't being violent, she is just staking out her claim. Normal dog behavior. I don't blame you for not correcting it, as there's nothing to correct in this situation.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 17, 2017 at 8:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Don't start whining when there is a huge fight or your kids get bit.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 17, 2017 at 8:18 AM
My female dog is the same way. I don’t correct the behavior because her “brother” needs to sometimes be put in his place.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)