Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Dairy Milk Can be Labelled "Inhumane": Confirms Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) in Landmark Ruling

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 72 Replies

"Dairy Milk Can be Labelled "Inhumane": Confirms Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) in Landmark Ruling

August 17, 2017

In the UK a vegan organisation named 'Go-Vegan World' has been running an anti-dairy campaign with the slogan “Humane milk is a myth. Don't buy it”. 

Smaller text underneath reads: 

"I went vegan the day I visited a dairy. The mothers, still bloody from birth, searched and called frantically for their babies. Their daughters, fresh from their mothers’ wombs but separated from them, trembled and cried piteously, drinking milk from rubber teats on the wall instead of their mothers’ nurturing bodies. All because humans take their milk. Their sons are slaughtered for their flesh and they themselves are slaughtered at six years. Their natural lifespan is 25 years. I could no longer participate in that. Can you?"

Needless to say, this hasn't pleased the dairy industry, who have lodged seven different complaints with the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) to have the advert removed. 

However upon investigation the ASA couldn't find anything wrong with the advert and stated: 

"Although the language used to express the claims was emotional and hard-hitting, we understand it is the case that calves are generally separated from their mothers very soon after birth, and we therefore concluded that the advert is unlikely to mislead readers."

Michael Oakes, National Farmer's Union National Dairy Board Chairman said he felt let down by the ASA - adding that he was 'angry and disappointed'.

This is another blow to the dairy industry that is seeing a serious decline in sales as more and more people turn to plant-based milks, whey-free protein powders, and work to eliminate dairy from their diets.

There is now a wide variety of plant-based milks available that are not only healthier than cow milk, but tastier, better for the environment and cruelty-free. The dairy industry is desperately trying to fight back as consumers become more aware of the barbaric dairy industry practices.

And it's not just individuals that are shifting away from dairy, but large companies are ditching dairy to make way for more improved products like nut, soy, rice and hemp milks, and restaurantscafes and even ice cream parlours are also ditching dairy. 

Switching to a plant-based milk is easy and healthier, with plant-based milks generally having a lower fat content, and no hormones.

Last month the ASA also banned an advert for organic cow's milk which attempted to label itself as “good for the land” and was ruled to be misleading as dairy is terrible for the environment. These rulings from the completely impartial Advertising Standards Authority in favor of the Go-Vegan World campaign further validates the ethical concerns around the production of dairy products.

https://www.riseofthevegan.com/blog/advertising-standards-authority-confirms-dairy-is-inhumane

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 17, 2017 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 17, 2017 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah...I'm still gonna drink milk. It's delicious. When it stops being delicious, I'll stop drinking it and I'm not going to pay any attention to an article about it written by a vegan. Puh-lease.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 17, 2017 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Milk is disgudting. I will never understand peoples obssession with drinking the secretion of other animals. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 17, 2017 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this
My dh and I were just talking about this last night actually. We’re in Wisconsin, we’re surrounded by farmers, have been to and worked on some of these farms, and dairy cattle do not have good lives. If everyone visited a dairy farm (not a petting zoo) I’m fairly certain that most folks would be disturbed.
EarlGrayHot
by Platinum Member on Oct. 17, 2017 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I rarely drink dairy anyway.  I would say that a mother should not be separated from her babies and allowed to nurse for a time for their health. 

I always have soy milk on hand and prefer it anyway.

momto2boys973
by Sapphire Member on Oct. 17, 2017 at 10:30 AM
2 moms liked this
My mom visited the largest dairy farm here and she was amazed a how well treated the cows were.
Vegans can eat whatever the hell they want, but they have no right to impose their ideas to the rest of the population.
ShesSoUnusual
by Cat on Oct. 17, 2017 at 10:31 AM

I've known for a very long time what they do to animals, even in the dairy industry. I can't claim to be vegan because my family hates vegan food, but I do buy as much vegan as I can get away with. I really hope one day soon the meat and dairy industries will be more humane. There's no reason to be so cruel. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 17, 2017 at 10:33 AM
When milking the cows they will sometimes whip the farmer in the face with their tails. It’s legal then for those farmers to break or band (rubber band the tail until it falls off) a certain number of tails. They can’t remove all of them, there is a limit, but still...

The animals don’t have to see or touch grass either. It’s legal to put the calves in dog igloos and the adults in freestall barns with sand on the floor.
3gr8tKids
by Platinum Member on Oct. 17, 2017 at 10:33 AM

Bovine excretion, just look at the facts and images behind factory farming. enough said. 

PJMM
by Ruby Member on Oct. 17, 2017 at 10:37 AM
That's the UK. Either way apparently it's not slander so this vegan organization can do what it wants. I use diary in cooking and eat cheeses but far as I'm concerned humans don't need it. If that bothers the diary farmers oh well. I'm also tired with how farmers get away with using cage free and free range labels on eggs while we're on the subject. Those chickens still aren't really 'free'. It's absolutely ridiculous.
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Oct. 17, 2017 at 10:42 AM
This. If anything I'll drink and cook with Vanilla Almond milk. Regular milk is gross af.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Milk is disgudting. I will never understand peoples obssession with drinking the secretion of other animals. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)