Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Problem at school I'm just not sure what to do here

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2017 at 2:32 PM
  • 29 Replies
I have a conference with the teacher tomorrow not specifically about this just because it's a Title 1 school they have to offer a parent-teacher conference every year. So I will be discussing this with the teacher but I'm just not sure what options I might suggest or what to do so maybe you ladies can help me out.

I have two children in school my son is in kindergarten. His teacher who I've seen several times since the beginning of the school year has told me that he's a well-behaved boy and is not causing any problems. They have daily behavioral charts and his behavior is always good. the problem is there's a boy in my son's class who was constantly hitting him. From what my son says he is not the only one that this boy is hitting but my son seems to be a Target. We are nine weeks into the school year this boy came late I think about a month-and-a-half ago. There has been at least four separate times where my son has come home with some visible problem because of this kid. One time this kid knocks my kid on the ground my son had dirt on his clothes and even a little bit in his hair. Twice my son has had bruises on his face and once my son had a red handprint on his back from where the kid smack him. My son is also come home a couple of times saying that the kid hit him but there was no visible injury though I don't doubt what my son is saying. Each time he goes to the teacher and each time the teacher has the kid move his behavioral clip down to the lowest level where there's going to be a parent contact. I do not know if any other consequences are given but obviously it's not enough. I mean I'm trying not to blame the teacher here because I know that schools really have tied teacher's hands when it comes to discipline. But obviously something needs to be done. It is not acceptable that my son is routinely getting injured. Especially because my son isn't even only one this kid is hurting. We actually had to reschedule our Christmas pictures because my son came home with a bruise on his cheek.

I like his teacher and I don't want to get off on a bad foot with her or anything but clearly something more has to be done. I don't want to teach my son to hit back because then my son should be labeled a bad kid as well. But part of me just wants to go ahead and do it since it's not like he'll get in any real trouble anyway.

I've never been through anything like this my older child is a girl so I've never dealt with this. Any suggestions when talking to the teacher?
by on Oct. 17, 2017 at 2:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SAHMJC
by Emerald Member on Oct. 17, 2017 at 2:40 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 17, 2017 at 2:42 PM
5 moms liked this
All I've got is say, "Joey has been hitting Bobby and Bobby has come home with visible marks 4 times." Then stop talking and let the teacher talk.
SAHMJC
by Emerald Member on Oct. 17, 2017 at 2:43 PM
That's a good idea. I didn't know if I should kind of tell her what my expectations are about this but I think she probably knows better what the options are. I however will be making it very clear that this will not continue.

Quoting Anonymous 1: All I've got is say, "Joey has been hitting Bobby and Bobby has come home with visible marks 4 times." Then stop talking and let the teacher talk.
mischele
by Platinum Member on Oct. 17, 2017 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this
It’s gone on long enough. I’d inform the teacher and principle if the kids hits my son I’ll file assault charges. And yes you can file charges on a child
luvmybubs
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2017 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this
You tell her your concerns. Show her your documentation, hopefully you took photos. Let her now the very next time it happens you will involve law enforcement.

You need to protect your child more than care how the teacher feels.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 17, 2017 at 2:46 PM
I would think that she knows that this is unacceptable.

I've found that teachers/schools don't always know about the problems, but when pointed out, they always have the answers.

Quoting SAHMJC: That's a good idea. I didn't know if I should kind of tell her what my expectations are about this but I think she probably knows better what the options are. I however will be making it very clear that this will not continue.

Quoting Anonymous 1: All I've got is say, "Joey has been hitting Bobby and Bobby has come home with visible marks 4 times." Then stop talking and let the teacher talk.
1taximomhere
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2017 at 2:48 PM
Have you talked with the teacher about the bruises, and marks? Let her know your informing the principal, and if it doesn't stop, you will press charges.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 17, 2017 at 2:49 PM
Call the cops on the kindergartener who is hitting her son?
Is that what your suggesting?

Quoting luvmybubs: You tell her your concerns. Show her your documentation, hopefully you took photos. Let her now the very next time it happens you will involve law enforcement.

You need to protect your child more than care how the teacher feels.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 17, 2017 at 2:49 PM

Sounds like the other kid needs someone to help him, he's probably already being assessed. Every time your child comes home with a mark you need to photograph it and email the teacher. the school will already be aware of the child and probably are already trying to get him help.

I think I would talk to them about the behaviour charts... Nice way of the school to quietly bully the children and mock the children by having a visual for everyone to see. Its 2017 I didn't think things like that still exsisted. Imagine that embarrassment every time you go to school with the dread of everyone knowing. Imagine if that was your kid every single time. 

Most kids that hit at that age have some sort of a disability, ie, their speach isn't as developed, they have some form of learning disorder or they have suffered neglect. 

PinkButterfly66
by Sapphire Member on Oct. 17, 2017 at 2:50 PM
6 moms liked this

You go to the teacher and report the bullying and tell the principal that you have reported the problem to the teacher but the teacher is unable to stop it. You tell the principal that your next step will be with the school administrators.  And you demand that the principal stop it and remind the principal that s/he is required by federal law to stop the bullying.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)