Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Running laps as punishment?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 66 Replies

I have recently found out that my 3rd grade DS' teacher (not gym) makes the entire class run laps at recess even if only a few of the children get in trouble. She also tends to yell and slam doors on a regular basis. This occurs several times a week. I've talked to other parents whose children have had this teacher in the past, and their children say the same. I'm appalled. Have any of your children received this kind of punishment at school?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 17, 2017 at 4:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Oct. 17, 2017 at 4:03 PM
2 moms liked this

I have no issue with running laps. It gives them an outlet to run off energy and there is less misbehaving. I homeschool, but my kids have had to run laps at Karate as punishment, as well as wall sits, pushups and situps- the whole class..not just my kids. At home, my kids have had physical punishment by having to do pushups or situps if they start bickering.. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 17, 2017 at 4:04 PM
3 moms liked this
I'm sorry your precious is being made to do physical activity. As for the yelling is it the kid's saying she's doing that or the parents? Kids like to lie and exaggerate.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 17, 2017 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Physical activity should never be used as a punishment. That sends the wrong message.

Group punishments should never be allowed. The yelling and door slamming is not professional. I'd be demanding some changes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 17, 2017 at 4:07 PM

This comes from conversations with other parents. 

Quoting Anonymous 2: I'm sorry your precious is being made to do physical activity. As for the yelling is it the kid's saying she's doing that or the parents? Kids like to lie and exaggerate.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 17, 2017 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this
In my opinion physical exercise should never be used as a punishment. As the child gets older they may start seeing exercise is a punishment and not take as good of care of their health. I would gather some information supporting that and take it in to discuss with the principal.
EarlGrayHot
by Platinum Member on Oct. 17, 2017 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this

No, but I'd put a stop to it right now!  Call the pricipal AND the administration people and tell them to stop it immediately.  First, using physical exercise as punishment is really stupid.  Second, she is punishing everyone for the supposed misdeeds of a few.  Third, she has no right to do it at all.  I'd also consult a lawyer.

Again, anyone who used exercise as punishment is really stupid and obnoxious.  You do not want kids to associate exercise as something bad to be avoided.  The homeschooler who used this technique is also crazy.  Shameful and appalling.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 17, 2017 at 4:10 PM
Lol what’s the problem??
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 17, 2017 at 4:12 PM
Omg 🙄

Quoting EarlGrayHot:

No, but I'd put a stop to it right now!  Call the pricipal AND the administration people and tell them to stop it immediately.  First, using physical exercise as punishment is really stupid.  Second, she is punishing everyone for the supposed misdeeds of a few.  Third, she has no right to do it at all.  I'd also consult a lawyer.

Again, anyone who used exercise as punishment is really stupid and obnoxious.  You do not want kids to associate exercise as something bad to be avoided.  The homeschooler who used this technique is also crazy.  Shameful and appalling.

krisnkids
by Gold Member on Oct. 17, 2017 at 4:13 PM

Teacher is probably former military. Get over it, your precious child will live.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 17, 2017 at 4:13 PM
The kids that got in trouble should get paddled. Back when I was in school we got spanked. Kids didn't get in that much trouble back then.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)