Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone know an addict

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 123 Replies
That has successfully gotten clean?

Please share stories.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 17, 2017 at 6:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 17, 2017 at 6:45 PM
No. Unfortunately the ones I know are still knee deep in it and the main people who should help them are enablers and in denial.

ETA: By "help" I mean not contributing by enabling. I know the rest is up to the addict to do by way of their own efforts.
TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Oct. 17, 2017 at 6:46 PM
Sadly, no
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 17, 2017 at 6:47 PM
Yup. Dh's step dad. I don't know how he did it because it was years before I came into the picture. I never asked. By the time I met him all he did was chain smoke cogs as opposed to drinking and drugs.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 17, 2017 at 6:47 PM
No. The 2 that I knew are both dead.
tsatske2
by Latricia on Oct. 17, 2017 at 6:49 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm an alkie and a drug addict that is successfully clean for these last 35 years. On a very regular basis, I attend meetings full of people like myself, and around here there are several who have been sober as long as I have. A girl who is struggling to stay away from the drink has successfully stayed away from drugs for the last dozen years. It happens. AA and NA have good results. If you love someone who is struggling, go to a Narcanon meeting. Good luck. 

hotspice58
by Platinum Member on Oct. 17, 2017 at 6:50 PM
Yes. My sister kicked cocaine addiction. She left the area and entered rehab.
tsatske2
by Latricia on Oct. 17, 2017 at 6:50 PM
2 moms liked this

No one 'should' help them. If the Addict is an adult, he is responsible for his own use, and his own recovery. He makes his own choices, and they are his alone. If those people got smart and went to Narcanon and learned to quit enabling them, if the addict didn't want to stop, they'd find other enablers. Addicts are really good at that. 

Quoting Anonymous 2: No. Unfortunately the ones I know are still knee deep in it and the main people who should help them are enablers and in denial.

Idkmyscreenname
by Gold Member on Oct. 17, 2017 at 6:51 PM
Yes. A friend. Crack for 10 years. Went to jail for theft. Had to start completely over. He has been clean for 12 years, married with 4 kids.
Glitch202
by Gold Member on Oct. 17, 2017 at 6:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes.  After the fourth time my best friends daughter got arrested for meth; I told my friend that if she bailed her out again that her daughter would die.  Her daughter went to jail for two years.  She got out focused on getting a job and getting her fines paid.  She entered a program like AA and went to meetings regularly.  She met a pretty great guy, a non addict and she got pregnant.  That little girl is her life.  She has a good job and owns her own home now.  Every time I see her, I tell her how proud I am of her!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 17, 2017 at 6:52 PM
1 mom liked this

My husband has been clean for 24 years.  Dec 29th will be 25 years.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)