Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you give your 11, 12, 13 year old kid a smart phone, you doing something wrong

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 229 Replies
1 mom liked this
That’s the utter bullshit I heard today! I was picking dd up from a GS meeting and a dad said that. I turned around and said umm my kids are 11 and 14 and have smartphones. He tried to backpedal so hard it was actually funny!!!! He then told me I should just get a house phone, it’s cheaper. I politely said no that’s ok, we can afford whatever our kids want and they get the best. Ugh people should just watch what they say!
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 17, 2017 at 8:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 17, 2017 at 8:15 PM
3 moms liked this
He's entitled to his opinion. My kids needed a phone when they went into middle for various reasons. I never felt ashamed of having a way to contact my kids when I needed to. I would have just ignored him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 17, 2017 at 8:16 PM
It was so snarky though. Like no I’m not doing something wrong.

Quoting Anonymous 2: He's entitled to his opinion. My kids needed a phone when they went into middle for various reasons. I never felt ashamed of having a way to contact my kids when I needed to. I would have just ignored him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 17, 2017 at 8:24 PM
Bump because half if not most of us are apparently doing something wrong lol
acrogodess
by Emerald Member on Oct. 17, 2017 at 8:27 PM
I don't care what anyone else thinks. I do what is best for my family. Dd and ds share a smartphone. They're 14/16. Ds is going to start looking for a job soon so he'll be getting his own smartphone soon and dd will keep the original line as she purchased the refurbished iPhone 5s with her own money.

We don't have a house phone. Haven't used one in years.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 17, 2017 at 8:29 PM
I didn’t even think people still had them lol!

Quoting acrogodess: I don't care what anyone else thinks. I do what is best for my family. Dd and ds share a smartphone. They're 14/16. Ds is going to start looking for a job soon so he'll be getting his own smartphone soon and dd will keep the original line as she purchased the refurbished iPhone 5s with her own money.

Titanium
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2017 at 8:30 PM
5 moms liked this
There were no smart phones when my kids were that age, only cell phones you could only use to make calls.
My concern would be unlimited, unrestricted access to the internet. We all know what's out there...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 17, 2017 at 8:30 PM
That's another thing. No one has a house phone anymore. So if my kids are at friends houses they would end up having to use their friends cell anyway lol. Ridiculous for them not to have their own phone anymore at preteen and teen ages.

Quoting acrogodess: I don't care what anyone else thinks. I do what is best for my family. Dd and ds share a smartphone. They're 14/16. Ds is going to start looking for a job soon so he'll be getting his own smartphone soon and dd will keep the original line as she purchased the refurbished iPhone 5s with her own money.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 17, 2017 at 8:30 PM
3 moms liked this
I personally don’t think kids need phones under 16.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 17, 2017 at 8:32 PM
There are things you can put on your phone to restrict it. We have a program that even shuts the phone off at a certain time and they can’t get back into it until a certain time.

Quoting Titanium: There were no smart phones when my kids were that age, only cell phones you could only use to make calls.
My concern would be unlimited, unrestricted access to the internet. We all know what's out there...
iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Oct. 17, 2017 at 8:32 PM
Isn't that middle school age? Even I had one back then mid to late 90s) because I walked home.
But besides that...each parent can decide when they are ready for their kids to have a phone. He would probably wouldnt know what to say when my daughters friends starting having phones in 2nd grade....
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)