Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Trying to find a therapist for my daughter

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies
I can't believe how hard this is! I just want to get her an appointment, but first they need to speak to her (she has severe anxiety and taking on the phone isn't happening), then the first few I called doesn't take our insurance. I've been on the phone for a couple hours and I've only gotten as far as I might get a call back tomorrow. This is insane!
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 17, 2017 at 8:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Oct. 17, 2017 at 8:14 PM
1 mom liked this
A whole couple hours, huh?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 17, 2017 at 8:16 PM
Yeah, it shouldn't be this hard to get help for your child.

Quoting Danesmommy1: A whole couple hours, huh?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 17, 2017 at 8:16 PM
How old is she?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 17, 2017 at 8:16 PM

Quoting Anonymous 2: How old is she?
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Oct. 17, 2017 at 8:20 PM
Mental health care is serious business, it takes some effort.

Did you ask her pediatrician for a referral? That would probably smooth the way some.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Yeah, it shouldn't be this hard to get help for your child.

B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Oct. 17, 2017 at 8:23 PM

It took us weeks, referrals from caseworkers, and me basically losing it on the phone to get our daughter in for an appointment the first time. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 17, 2017 at 8:25 PM
What part of my post says I'm not putting in any effort? Her pediatrician gave us some names (they don't do referrals) and I started calling. I'm disappointed it's taking so long to just get an appointment. I take my child's mental health very seriously.

Quoting Danesmommy1: Mental health care is serious business, it takes some effort.

Did you ask her pediatrician for a referral? That would probably smooth the way some.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Yeah, it shouldn't be this hard to get help for your child.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 17, 2017 at 8:28 PM
I'm sorry it took that long, that's ridiculous. I'm new at this process, but you would think it would be easier to get them the help they need. I hope your daughter is doing well!

Quoting B1Bomber:

It took us weeks, referrals from caseworkers, and me basically losing it on the phone to get our daughter in for an appointment the first time. 

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Oct. 17, 2017 at 8:28 PM
Ok, maybe I took that couple of hours thing the wrong way. It came across like you're wanting a quick fix and I apologize if I got that wrong.

Don't give up, keep making calls. Good luck.

Quoting Anonymous 1: What part of my post says I'm not putting in any effort? Her pediatrician gave us some names (they don't do referrals) and I started calling. I'm disappointed it's taking so long to just get an appointment. I take my child's mental health very seriously.

Quoting Danesmommy1: Mental health care is serious business, it takes some effort.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 17, 2017 at 8:31 PM
Maybe your local school may have suggestions?
Youre right, finding help shouldnt be hard or financially draining, but sadly, thats healthcare.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)