Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

With all the suicide that seems to be happening lately

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies
How can we as parents help our children to open up to us if they feel like they may be heading down that road?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 17, 2017 at 9:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Oct. 17, 2017 at 9:04 PM
Idk but I pray they would come to me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 17, 2017 at 9:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Me too

Quoting vegaswife2011: Idk but I pray they would come to me.
momto2boys973
by Sapphire Member on Oct. 17, 2017 at 9:09 PM
2 moms liked this

IDK. I think it’s more important for parents to be aware of the warning signs and be involved. Know how your kids are doing, who they’re hanging out with, monitor their online activity. It may sound helicopter-y to some, but you gotta know what your kid is into. Whenever I read about a kid committing suicide, more often than not the parents were clueless that anything was wrong and that’s inexcusable. We all want our kids to become independent, but in this day and age, we have to be involved in their lives and know what’s going on.

PacMan80
by Ruby Member on Oct. 17, 2017 at 9:22 PM

IDK, but with a bipolar DH, there's obviously a chance one of my kids will have mental health issues.  I plan to monitor and be involved as much as I can, while also giving them so freedom.  It was so much easier for my parents.  The internet was just starting up big when I was in HS.  Between bullying and access to random shit, we'll really have to pay attention to everything going on. . .bullying, cries for help, etc.

myshoes
by Platinum Member on Oct. 17, 2017 at 9:27 PM
I am dealing with this with my son. I have accepted that I am not the person he can open up to. I honestly am ok with that. I put in 110% to help him find people he can reach out to, and be sure he is with them regularly.
My son is 16.
Madeyemoody
by Constant vigilance on Oct. 17, 2017 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this
This all the way

Quoting momto2boys973:

IDK. I think it’s more important for parents to be aware of the warning signs and be involved. Know how your kids are doing, who they’re hanging out with, monitor their online activity. It may sound helicopter-y to some, but you gotta know what your kid is into. Whenever I read about a kid committing suicide, more often than not the parents were clueless that anything was wrong and that’s inexcusable. We all want our kids to become independent, but in this day and age, we have to be involved in their lives and know what’s going on.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 17, 2017 at 10:14 PM
I wish you luck.

Quoting myshoes: I am dealing with this with my son. I have accepted that I am not the person he can open up to. I honestly am ok with that. I put in 110% to help him find people he can reach out to, and be sure he is with them regularly.
My son is 16.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 17, 2017 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree. During his teen years, complete privacy needs to take a back seat to my being able to protect him from himself or others.

Quoting momto2boys973:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 17, 2017 at 10:19 PM
There was a 22 year old in the obits today, it's so sad.
nussknacker
by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2017 at 11:33 PM

This is where I jump in. First off, my son committed suicide. He was 15. I was very involved. And per your definition, I guess I am in excuseable. I am involved in a web site that is about parents that have lost children to suicide. Some of the parents there are actually counselors, psychologists, and even deal with suicide ideaolgy. All of these things we should have seen, acording to suicide experts. Yet our Children are dead. What is the answer? I have none. No one could have predicted my sons death or he would be alive. He was not depressed, he  was not mentally ill. Yet even others were, Danielle Steel, ( I think ? ? wrote a book about her son , Nick. She had the money to hire a full time "baby sitter". Her son still killed himself. Then there is the movie, Boy, Interuppted. These parents knew  that their son wanted to kill himself....

IF I COULD HAVE STOPPED IT I WOULD! . Please do not blame the parents, we hurt enough as it is,

Quoting momto2boys973:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)