Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Walmart fires 84 year old over dollar bill

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 38 Replies

"I wanted to work real bad," said Ruffino.

She had a spotless record she says, not one issue in nearly a decade of service. A few weeks ago, she was closing like she did most nights, when she spotted something in the aisle.

"I found a dollar bill on the floor, just one dollar bill," said Ruffino.

It was late, so she picked it up, put it on her walker and drove home to Burton, Texas. The next day her managers called her in.

"She said did you find some money yesterday, I said yes, I picked up a dollar bill, here it is right there," said Ruffino.

She later finished that shift, but when she came back the following day, Ruffino heard words she'd never thought she'd hear.

"She said I need your badge and your vest," said Ruffino. "You have been let go because of your integrity."

It was a crushing blow.

"I said how am I going to push my walker and walk myself outside," she said. "I needed the job to take care of myself."

She needed that paycheck for her medication and oxygen tanks that help her function. She's a woman who's worked for 70 years, now stuck at home, still wondering why and hurting by how she was let go by Walmart in the first place.

"If they had told me, 'Ms. Frankie, you've got to where you don't get around, you're on oxygen, and you're old and we just don't have a place for you,' I would rather they tell me that then to tell me I don't have any integrity."

KHOU11 News reached out to Walmart for answers, but the company says they don't comment on personnel matters.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 17, 2017 at 11:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 17, 2017 at 11:27 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 17, 2017 at 11:29 PM
They wanted to fire her but didn't want to look bad. They waited until the first opportunity. I'm sure some 20 year old in their mind is going to offer a lot more labor for the dollar than an 84 year old with a walker.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 17, 2017 at 11:29 PM
I know everyone will be on her side but in any retail training you will be told if you find money on the floor, even just a dollar, you are to turn it in. So her bad.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 17, 2017 at 11:32 PM
10 moms liked this
It's sad that an 84 year old even needs to work to afford her basic health care.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 18, 2017 at 8:57 AM
B
MythrylHavoc
by Data on Oct. 18, 2017 at 9:00 AM
I think there is more to the story.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 18, 2017 at 9:01 AM
Why in the hell do we have 84 year olds working to afford health care? That's some third world shit. Disgusting.
anononononon
by Gold Member on Oct. 18, 2017 at 9:01 AM
That's not a fireable offense especially if you have a clean record for over a decade. At most she would have gotten a write up and a reminder to turn in any money she finds in the future.

Quoting Anonymous 3: I know everyone will be on her side but in any retail training you will be told if you find money on the floor, even just a dollar, you are to turn it in. So her bad.
anononononon
by Gold Member on Oct. 18, 2017 at 9:03 AM
I'm guessing they wanted her gone and found an excuse

Quoting MythrylHavoc: I think there is more to the story.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 18, 2017 at 9:05 AM
I feel so bad that at her age and condition she needs to be working. Hopefully another employer hears her story or a Good Samaritan hires her or helps her out. I'd send her money if I knew her name and address.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)