Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Social workers are hard working hero's

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies

A day in the life of a heroic hard working social worker

8.30am/9am — arrive at office, check emails and overnight notes for any urgent cases.

10am — leave office or an access meeting between child in care and biological parents. May collect child for meeting, which usually lasts an hour and a half, before returning child to care placement.

1pm — back at office for lunch at desk, checking more emails and reports.

2pm — write up access meeting notes. May also arrange medical appointment or transport for a child, refer parents to support services, liaise with schools, attend staff meeting etc.

3pm — case meetings, such as for reunification of children with biological parents, or meeting with a family which has concerns. Record and distribute minutes from meetings.

Many workers report having to update files or complete other paper work after hours.

In some cases, workers remain at work until late evening trying to find a placement for a child or responding to emergencies.

Over a typical 39-hour week spend an average:

12 hours a week transporting children to contact visits

further 12 hours travelling to other meetings

7 hours attending contact meetings with families

7 hours on case notes, feedback to parents/carers, research, updating files, making phone calls

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 18, 2017 at 1:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maliffy
by Silver Member on Oct. 18, 2017 at 7:32 AM
I was a home hospice nurse and case manager for years. I can vividly remember standing in a patient's house. I was literally wrist deep in a gaping sore that looked like death and smelled indescribable. As I as cleaning this horrific sore, I listened in on our social worker conducting a family meeting regarding this individual's neglect, options for care and the legal ramifications of their present condition.

All I could think to myself, as the stench rose around me, was "thank God I don't have to do HER job."
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 18, 2017 at 7:40 AM
1 mom liked this
That’s nice.

My own schedule is filled with therapies, working full time, ballet pick ups and drop offs. Violin lessons and tutoring. Finding time to have a marriage while my boss stresses me out about paperwork SHE was meant to fill out.
My oldest complaining of stomach pain no one can find out the origins and being an advocate for my autistic son which details far more than I have the energy to explain.

I don’t get paid for 70% of the stress and paperwork I deal with, I’m just a mom.
Not all hero’s wear capes and Moms sure as hell are rarely ever considered when one thinks of a “Hero”
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 18, 2017 at 7:41 AM
1 mom liked this

it makes you an adult with a job not a hero

Olioxenfree
by Gold Member on Oct. 18, 2017 at 7:43 AM
My mom is a social worker. She works far over 39 hours a week for not a lot of pay. She has received death threats, has been punched in the face, has almost been stabbed, and has never thought of quitting.
skipp2
by Gold Member on Oct. 18, 2017 at 7:46 AM

You're right. Why is the simple act of getting up, going to work and doing your job cause for celebration and backpatting these days? 

Quoting Anonymous 3:

it makes you an adult with a job not a hero

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 18, 2017 at 7:46 AM
Well mine certainly failed me. I ran away from home at 15 and have been on my own since.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 18, 2017 at 7:47 AM
Some... and some stink! Like every other profession.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 18, 2017 at 7:49 AM
The social worker at my job hardly works
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Oct. 18, 2017 at 7:51 AM
Lol having a god complex doesn't make you a hero. Majority of social workers are complete trash who half ass their jobs, and tear apart happy families.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Oct. 18, 2017 at 7:55 AM
I have been a social worker for thirty one years and it is a very demanding and labor intensive field. I stated before we had computers and Internet and cell phones! There are many dangers involved as well within child protective agencies.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)