Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you feel you would have failed as a parent if

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 271 Replies
1 mom liked this
Your children didn't go to college?
Not they were lazy or hard workers, but just chose a different path?
My oldest is 13. We've talked a lot about college and of course he wants to go. But then I read all the articles about college kids having a degree but no jobs to work with the degree so they're working almost minimum wage jobs.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 18, 2017 at 2:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 18, 2017 at 2:13 AM
2 moms liked this
Depends on their degree honestly some parents don't talk their kids out of Art, social, theatre, vocals/guitar or other degrees that get them nowhere. If you have a practical degree it's easy to get a good job.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 18, 2017 at 2:13 AM

A failure, no, but disappointed since college is very important to us. Ulitmately it will be up to DD to go, of course.

There are a lot of great college programs out there that don't carry ivy league prices. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 18, 2017 at 2:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I would rather they learn a trade first at least, unless they are planning on going into medical or science fields.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 18, 2017 at 2:17 AM
16 moms liked this
I don’t care if they go to college or not. I never went and almost every person who works for me has a college degree and a whole shit ton of debt. I make more money and owe NOTHING. I teach my kids hard work, networking, being honest, respecting people, create a personal brand, etc will get you farther in life than a college degree. Obviously if they want to be a doctor, lawyer, etc, I’ll encourgae college along with those things.....but it is not necessary to be a successful person.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 18, 2017 at 2:18 AM
MBA is actually the most hired degree.
Finance degrees are great, so are computer science and any engineering. There are so many besides science/med.

Quoting Anonymous 4: I would rather they learn a trade first at least, unless they are planning on going into medical or science fields.
SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Oct. 18, 2017 at 2:19 AM
9 moms liked this

No b/c unlike a lot of the mothers on here, I know that college is not for everyone. I feel sorry for the kids that are forced to attend college whether they want to or not. They are adults at 18 and parents should not be making or forcing them into that kind of decision. 

DONNAOPULENTO
by on Oct. 18, 2017 at 2:20 AM

Not at all.  My two eldest are college graduates and my youngest was attending my alma mater, then took a sabbatical 2 1/2 years ago. 

Pukalani79
by Gold Member on Oct. 18, 2017 at 2:21 AM
1 mom liked this
A failure? No. We expect our kids to go, but if that's not the path they choose, then we will respect that.
bascha
by Silver Member on Oct. 18, 2017 at 2:21 AM
6 moms liked this
I'm going to have to, respectfully, disagree with you on that. I'm currently working on a degree for graphic art. After that, I plan to continue on to learn 3d modeling. As an artist, I tend to network with other artists, and I know quite a few who are making good money with their skills. It may not be the right choice for everyone, but it certainly not a waste of time and money, if it's truly someone's passion.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Depends on their degree honestly some parents don't talk their kids out of Art, social, theatre, vocals/guitar or other degrees that get them nowhere. If you have a practical degree it's easy to get a good job.
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Oct. 18, 2017 at 2:23 AM

No .....but 4 have gone to college, 1 decided not to go and 1 is in college now. I expect my youngest to go also, But ultimately its his choice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)