Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 8 year old suddenly believes in Santa

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies
I've always left presents under the tree but I've never really done the "Santa" thing. Out of nowhere she told me that we need to clean the chimney so Santa can get in. I didn't have the heart to tell her right then, and it was very unexpected, but now that she's at school I'm rethinking it. She chose to believe without any input from me, should I spoil it for her? Or just let her believe?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 18, 2017 at 5:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Geeez17
by Emerald Member on Oct. 18, 2017 at 5:33 AM
Too late. If you were going to tell her the truth you should have done it on the spot. At least that's what I did when my ds was about her age and asked if Santa was real. Let her have some magic in believing in Santa.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 18, 2017 at 5:34 AM
My 9yo does. I'm not bursting that bubble until she comes to me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 18, 2017 at 5:36 AM
Let her believe
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 18, 2017 at 5:42 AM
Too late? It's never too late to say something that needs said. I wasn't prepared for the conversation and I don't think just before school was the best time to tell her anyway.

Quoting Geeez17: Too late. If you were going to tell her the truth you should have done it on the spot. At least that's what I did when my ds was about her age and asked if Santa was real. Let her have some magic in believing in Santa.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 18, 2017 at 5:43 AM
I didn't expect this to be a bubble I'd have to deal with.

Quoting Anonymous 2: My 9yo does. I'm not bursting that bubble until she comes to me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 18, 2017 at 5:45 AM
Is your name Nancy Naive?

Quoting Anonymous 1: I didn't expect this to be a bubble I'd have to deal with.

Quoting Anonymous 2: My 9yo does. I'm not bursting that bubble until she comes to me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 18, 2017 at 5:52 AM
Would you expect your child to suddenly believe in Santa Claus at 8 years old when you've never played Santa in all those years? Isn't that closer to the age most kids STOP believing in Santa?

Quoting Anonymous 4: Is your name Nancy Naive?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 18, 2017 at 6:15 AM
That would throw me off for sure... if I were you, I would just go with it. It's not hurting anyone.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Would you expect your child to suddenly believe in Santa Claus at 8 years old when you've never played Santa in all those years? Isn't that closer to the age most kids STOP believing in Santa?

Quoting Anonymous 4: Is your name Nancy Naive?

lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Oct. 18, 2017 at 6:37 AM
Why would you ruin it ? She is a child, let her enjoy it .
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 18, 2017 at 6:41 AM
It's not a tradition I planned on participating in. I also have a younger child.

Quoting lucky2Beeme: Why would you ruin it ? She is a child, let her enjoy it .
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)