Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you put an epi pen in your child's backpack?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 180 Replies
Policy doesn't allow students to carry any type of medication on them. My daughter has an allergy to bee stings. If she is riding the bus and going to and from school this is an issue. The response time would not be fast enough, so against the school's wishes I put one in her backpack. Would you?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 18, 2017 at 9:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 18, 2017 at 9:20 AM
Yes.

My mom always hid mine in a pocket she sewed in my bag so no one knew I had one on me. I used to carry all my own medications also.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 18, 2017 at 9:21 AM
2 moms liked this
I would speak with the school to work something out.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Oct. 18, 2017 at 9:21 AM
This.

Quoting Anonymous 3: I would speak with the school to work something out.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 18, 2017 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I would in your case assuming she knows how to use it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 18, 2017 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Your school should be aware of the situation and they will help you make this decision. Depending on her age they may ask you to provide one for the school and one for the bus. I would not just stick it in her backpack. It could lead to her being expelled.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 18, 2017 at 9:23 AM
I have discussed it with the school, the do not see any issue with their policy that the nurse keeps them in her office.

Quoting Anonymous 3: I would speak with the school to work something out.
EarlGrayHot
by Platinum Member on Oct. 18, 2017 at 9:24 AM
4 moms liked this

All you have to do is get a note from her doctor with specific instructions that she is to carry it with her at all times.  THAT is how you handle it instead of putting something generally forbidden in the pack where is can cause trouble for her.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 18, 2017 at 9:24 AM

I guess it would depend on the age of the child and if they have ever used it on themselves before. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 18, 2017 at 9:24 AM
She has one in the nurses office as well. Her backpack stays in her locker during school hours.

Quoting Anonymous 5: Your school should be aware of the situation and they will help you make this decision. Depending on her age they may ask you to provide one for the school and one for the bus. I would not just stick it in her backpack. It could lead to her being expelled.
KitschyAF
by Silver Member on Oct. 18, 2017 at 9:25 AM

I would put quick dissolving benedryl in her backpack. An epi pen has to be kept at a controlled temperature and here it gets too hot in the summer to trust it. The benedryl would buy time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)