Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You know she needs help and you're moving away and you call me selfish?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 80 Replies
my father-in-law is an on the road trucker and my mother-in-law cannot drive due to health issues. My mother-in-law is in kidney failure and has to go to dialysis 3 times a week. Usually my father-in-law is out of town during the week And that's when she has dialysis so my sister-in-law and I take turns. One week I take her two days and my sister-in-law takes her one and the following week I take her one day and my sister-in-law takes her two. my sister-in-law's husband was offered a promotion but he has to move. This means that they will live out of state and will no longer be able to help. I voiced my concern because I can't take her 3 days a week. The place is half an hour away and it usually takes hours. I don't have that kind of time. On the days that I take her that is pretty much my day. I drop my kids off from school I pick her up we go I wait for her to get done and by the time we're done it's usually about time to pick my kids up again.

My sister-in-law called me selfish! I'm like seriously she is your mother and you are moving knowing that she needs help and I'm selfish for not picking up your Slack?

I honestly don't know what can be done. My father-in-law cannot afford to cut back on work and we've looked into the insurance providing some Transportation but that is not available to her. Taking a cab or an Uber would be way too expensive and from what I've heard ubers are not really reliable. Even if you book it in advance they're not always there on time. Not only that but I am having a baby. I am 22 weeks pregnant and once my baby is born I'm not going to be able to take her for at least 6 weeks it's because I'm not going to be taking my baby out in public.

I am just so annoyed that somebody can be so selfish and then call someone else selfish
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 18, 2017 at 2:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 18, 2017 at 2:41 PM
Bump
my4kids274
by Ruby Member on Oct. 18, 2017 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Have you looked into seeing about getting a dyalisis machine for their home? I only ask because a family member had one set up in his home and his wife was trained how to work it. Also check into the possibility of having a medical vehicle to transport to and from her treatment. There are devices down here where I live that do that for people.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 18, 2017 at 2:44 PM
We looked into that when she first started having to do dialysis. Insurance only covers a portion of it it's very expensive. As for having transportation provided her insurance won't cover it

Quoting my4kids274: Have you looked into seeing about getting a dyalisis machine for their home? I only ask because a family member had one set up in his home and his wife was trained how to work it. Also check into the possibility of having a medical vehicle to transport to and from her treatment. There are devices down here where I live that do that for people.
my4kids274
by Ruby Member on Oct. 18, 2017 at 2:46 PM
I am sorry to hear that. I wish I had more suggestions.

Quoting Anonymous 1: We looked into that when she first started having to do dialysis. Insurance only covers a portion of it it's very expensive. As for having transportation provided her insurance won't cover it

Quoting my4kids274: Have you looked into seeing about getting a dyalisis machine for their home? I only ask because a family member had one set up in his home and his wife was trained how to work it. Also check into the possibility of having a medical vehicle to transport to and from her treatment. There are devices down here where I live that do that for people.
Titanium
by Silver Member on Oct. 18, 2017 at 2:48 PM
4 moms liked this
There are volunteers who drive patients to dialysis, chemo etc (even out of town). Ask at the dialysis unit if this is available in your area.
PinkButterfly66
by Sapphire Member on Oct. 18, 2017 at 2:50 PM

Remind the bitch that this is her very own mother.  It's too bad that the dialysis place isn't closer.  In my city, I have several within 15 minutes drive from my house.  Does she qualify for state assistance due to her disability?

ColieO
by Emerald Member on Oct. 18, 2017 at 2:52 PM
5 moms liked this
How dare her husband make a living.
Oliviasmom72
by Gold Member on Oct. 18, 2017 at 2:54 PM
2 moms liked this

Sorry but it is not your job to take her 3 times a week. Your SIL should be taking her she is her child, you are not. There is no way I would move away from my mother if she needed my help like that.

Tell MIL shye better figure something out quick and her husband does have the option of changing work-I dont wanto to hear they cannot afford it. Maybe its time to hire a part time caregiver or a teenager or someone that wants to drive her car.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 18, 2017 at 2:58 PM
How old is she? Some communities offer discounted door to door transportation for seniors.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 18, 2017 at 3:01 PM
No problem with that but she is moving and calling me selfish for not being able to pick up her slack

Quoting ColieO: How dare her husband make a living.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)