Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why do so many think expensive baby/toddler clothes are a waste?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 30 Replies
1 mom liked this
This doesn’t apply to moms who were 1(or twins) and done. I get why you would buy cheap clothes.

Dh and I always planned on having 4-6 kids. We stopped at 5.

At the time of my first pregnancy, I was working for an upscale clothing company(behind the scenes stuff). Since most of my coworkers worked in the fashion industry, I got a lot of upscale baby clothes from the shower they threw me and for kids’ birthdays

I’ve noticed some stuff about the clothes:

Stains don’t set in as easily, most come out with a single wash

They don’t tear or stretch as much during every day wear

When stains do occur I can scrub the hell out of them and don’t have to worry about ripping or stretching the fabric

The fabric just doesn’t wear out. I’ve got some old cheap T-shirt’s that the younger ones might wear to bed because they are just too thin and frayed to wear out.

All of the more expensive clothing is still in good sturdy condition

I just don’t get why so many moms advise new moms to buy cheap baby/toddler clothes especially if that mom plans to have more one day.

Clothes are a good investment if you can use them again.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 18, 2017 at 4:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 18, 2017 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I had one boy and one girl. I still bought nice new clothes. I don't see it as a waste. I like my kids to look nice and I can afford it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 18, 2017 at 4:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Meh, I bought mostly target and second hand. Passed all the clothes down.

I say spend your money how you want, why would you think anyone gives a fuck?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 18, 2017 at 4:48 PM
I have more than 1 kid but they are boy/girl. Expensive clothing is a waste especially with a little girl who loves clothes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 18, 2017 at 4:48 PM

May be better material but since a lot of moms keep heir kids home all day why do they need fancy things? I stayed home with my girls for their first 5 years and they got some nicer brands and went through them just like the cheaper things. Some clothes are cheaply made and thin out. Garnimals never fit my kids right and always looked like they weren't made correctly. I go by what looked sturdy and like it would last not what was trendy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 18, 2017 at 4:51 PM

I think all clothes are a waste of money.  Unfortunately, people tend to frown upon public nudity, so I have to suck it up.  However, I'm not buying expensive clothes for anyone. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 18, 2017 at 4:52 PM
It doesn’t have to be fancy to be quality material.

Garnimals are quality clothing either.

Quoting Anonymous 5:

May be better material but since a lot of moms keep heir kids home all day why do they need fancy things? I stayed home with my girls for their first 5 years and they got some nicer brands and went through them just like the cheaper things. Some clothes are cheaply made and thin out. Garnimals never fit my kids right and always looked like they weren't made correctly. I go by what looked sturdy and like it would last not what was trendy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 18, 2017 at 4:54 PM
But you DO buy expensive clothing when you have to replace entire wardrobes for every kid you have. It saves money to invest in quality

Quoting Anonymous 6:

I think all clothes are a waste of money.  Unfortunately, people tend to frown upon public nudity, so I have to suck it up.  However, I'm not buying expensive clothes for anyone. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Oct. 18, 2017 at 4:54 PM
Because I'm not spending more on a two year olds clothing than my own. They are just fine is normal grade clothing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 18, 2017 at 4:55 PM

I don't do that. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: But you DO buy expensive clothing when you have to replace entire wardrobes for every kid you have. It saves money to invest in quality
Quoting Anonymous 6:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Oct. 18, 2017 at 4:57 PM
If it is seriously upscale, sure, but that's out of most people's price range, even for multiple kids.

Everything else is the same quality... mid range, stuff like gap, gymboree, carters, target, childrens place, walmart, old navy, etc.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)