Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I cried on the phone to the electric company 😢

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies
I’ll make this clear, I’m not in the least bit upset with the guy. He didn’t know.

I live in Texas where we have the “power to chose” our light company. It wasn’t always like that and back in the 70s when my grandparents moved into their house it was one company and no choice and they never bothered to check prices or anything once we were allowed to.

Several times over the years I told my grandmother that if she wanted me to look and see if she could get a better deal I would. Today she asked me to do that.

So I looked and there was a cheaper plan so I called her company to switch her to that.

The guy answered and said he had to speak to mr grandpa

I said you can’t, but you can speak to his wife, she’s right here

No ma’am I need to speak to mr grandpa.

You can’t speak to him, my grandmother is right here and you can speak to her but you can’t talk to my grandfather.

Ma’am we can’t continue until I speak to mr grandpa to verify it’s ok for you to speak on his behalf.

By then my voice is cracking and what I tried to hard to avoid saying I realize I have to say.

So I tell him my grandfather has passed away and that he could speak to my grandmother.

He then said it was ok for him to speak to my grandmother.

I handed her the phone while I composed myself.

Ugh. It’s been a few days since I cried and I really didn’t want to cry on the phone. I was hoping he would understand but he didn’t :(

In the end thought I got her signed up for a new cheaper plan.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 18, 2017 at 6:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
quinnsmom715
by Ruby Member on Oct. 18, 2017 at 6:58 PM
2 moms liked this

my mil threw a shoe at the electric guy..

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 18, 2017 at 7:01 PM
I had the same issue trying to turn off utilities in my grandpa's name. One even asked for a death certificate. I had my brother call and pretend to be him in the rest
Johnsmom5892
by Hope on Oct. 18, 2017 at 7:04 PM
2 moms liked this
I am sorry about the loss of your grandfather. The electric companies suck ass.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 18, 2017 at 7:05 PM
I asked the guy if he needed a feather certificate and he said no. Thank goodness.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I had the same issue trying to turn off utilities in my grandpa's name. One even asked for a death certificate. I had my brother call and pretend to be him in the rest
mrsary
by Emerald Member on Oct. 18, 2017 at 7:06 PM
3 moms liked this
You should have told him straight up why he couldn't talk to Mr grandpa. Would have saved you some tears.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 18, 2017 at 7:07 PM
What a bitch.

Quoting quinnsmom715:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 18, 2017 at 7:08 PM
They were just doing their job though it’s funny that as soon as I said he died my grandmother was good enough. And he said that in order to switch it over into my grandmothers name they would just cancel this account.

I asked if they needed a death certificate and he said no.

So they went on my word to close out an account and open a new one when I made it clear it wasn’t being opened in my name. Now I am grateful they didn’t make me jump through hoops but at the same time it’s kinda scary they just took me at my word.

Quoting Johnsmom5892: I am sorry about the loss of your grandfather. The electric companies suck ass.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 18, 2017 at 7:08 PM
No it wouldn’t have. I would’ve cried no matter what.

Quoting mrsary: You should have told him straight up why he couldn't talk to Mr grandpa. Would have saved you some tears.
Johnsmom5892
by Hope on Oct. 18, 2017 at 7:10 PM
Thankfully he was a nice guy and it went smoothly. It took us forever to get my husbands ex wife’s name off our electric bill.

Quoting Anonymous 1: They were just doing their job though it’s funny that as soon as I said he died my grandmother was good enough. And he said that in order to switch it over into my grandmothers name they would just cancel this account.

I asked if they needed a death certificate and he said no.

So they went on my word to close out an account and open a new one when I made it clear it wasn’t being opened in my name. Now I am grateful they didn’t make me jump through hoops but at the same time it’s kinda scary they just took me at my word.

Quoting Johnsmom5892: I am sorry about the loss of your grandfather. The electric companies suck ass.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 18, 2017 at 7:10 PM
OMG

🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂😂

Quoting quinnsmom715:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)