Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do YOU make flour tortillas, if you do....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies
I've been trying for years and failing. It is starting to really piss me off. I've tried so many methods and my tortillas always come out tough. If they aren't tough right off the pan, they are tough very soon after. They just aren't good.

Does anybody here want to share their method and recipe? I've done so many recipes on Google and for some reason I have failed at all.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 18, 2017 at 10:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Trouser.Mouse
by Ruby Member on Oct. 18, 2017 at 10:36 PM
I haven't made any for years because it is too much work for a family our size. Fresh tortillas taste so good though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 18, 2017 at 10:39 PM
My MIL also stopped making them. She said that by the time she was done with them all, nobody left her any. Also with a big family.

Quoting Trouser.Mouse: I haven't made any for years because it is too much work for a family our size. Fresh tortillas taste so good though.
JustKeepsmoving
by 5 on Oct. 18, 2017 at 10:41 PM
I make my own corn tortillas a few times a year. I am better with the texture of those. We also have a large family (8 of us), so it is a treat.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 18, 2017 at 10:46 PM
Corn tortillas have always been a failure of mine as well, lol. But I've never tried with anything other than Maseca. I want to buy masa already made and see how it comes out.

Quoting JustKeepsmoving: I make my own corn tortillas a few times a year. I am better with the texture of those. We also have a large family (8 of us), so it is a treat.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 18, 2017 at 10:47 PM

I don't make them or buy them anymore, but I sure do love tortillas.  Bump

Trouser.Mouse
by Ruby Member on Oct. 18, 2017 at 10:50 PM
I want to try these. I hear they are fantastic. Everyone uses them as tortillas, for wraps, for anything.

http://veganlovlie.com/sweet-potato-flatbread-no-added-oil/
chinosruca
by Ruby Member on Oct. 18, 2017 at 10:54 PM
I’ve made these and they are good. I got the recipe from the same website. My kids don’t like them though. They are weirdos though 🤣

Quoting Trouser.Mouse: I want to try these. I hear they are fantastic. Everyone uses them as tortillas, for wraps, for anything.

http://veganlovlie.com/sweet-potato-flatbread-no-added-oil/
JustKeepsmoving
by 5 on Oct. 18, 2017 at 10:55 PM
I use maseca, but I wet it and let it soak for at least 24 hours (covered in the fridge) I do anything with it.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Corn tortillas have always been a failure of mine as well, lol. But I've never tried with anything other than Maseca. I want to buy masa already made and see how it comes out.

Quoting JustKeepsmoving: I make my own corn tortillas a few times a year. I am better with the texture of those. We also have a large family (8 of us), so it is a treat.
MistressMonster
by Sour Grapes on Oct. 18, 2017 at 10:57 PM

I made some way back in HS. Good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 18, 2017 at 11:21 PM
Maybe letting it soak takes that nasty powdery taste I have gotten with making them. Ill try it one day.

Quoting JustKeepsmoving: I use maseca, but I wet it and let it soak for at least 24 hours (covered in the fridge) I do anything with it.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Corn tortillas have always been a failure of mine as well, lol. But I've never tried with anything other than Maseca. I want to buy masa already made and see how it comes out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)