Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How would you start... ETA

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 47 Replies
A petition to your school district to reduce homework or to implement the guidelines they have?

It has been proven that he is useless in elementary. And some
guidelines say 10 minutes per grade is more than enough.

Our district policy is 60 minutes for 4th and 5th grades but the amount we get is too much and when kids are. It understanding the material (in our case, the math teacher is not explaining enough and the computer based hw does the math reversed of what the teacher explained so a 29 minute hw ends up in 60 minutes) and in languages, there are no textbooks, no taking notes, only packets the teacher send that have ambiguous sentences and bad grammar with half the options being things she hasn't taught yet and no support material.

This is killing us and then they expect the kids to read for at least 30 minutes.

The kids are exhausted, in bad mood, the parents get frustrated and they are getting nowhere. Family time doesn't exist anymore and kids can not play or have any sports after school because there is no time.

How would you do it?

ETA

I have talk to some parents, even some I don't know and all agree that it's too much hw but all are afraid of teachers retaliating and it has happened in the past that a group of parents want to talk about something, the others back out at the last minute leaving a parent by himself.

I told the teacher we, the parents couldn't even figure out the sentences for the predicates and her solution was sending more worksheets even though 90% of the class failed that test.

We leave school at 3:15, then go for allergy shots that's another 30 minutes, come home do 1 hw and then sports and we are back home at 6:00, then hw. Making dinner, eating and bedtime is at 8:30. There is not time to rest, to spend it with family.

Do you all take work home and spend all your free time working and enjoy your life?

We are talking about kids. They need time to be kids.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 18, 2017 at 11:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Marie207
by on Oct. 19, 2017 at 3:02 AM

I would not start a petition to reduce homework.  They know what they are doing.  They know the kids can handle it.  The kids have to do an hour of homework as soon as after school as possible, then go out and play, then dinner, then another hour of homework.

redheadtmk
by Ruby Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 3:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I woudlnt start a petition. I would simply let the teachers know what limitations I would be setting in my home. If the homework was as bad as you say as far as ambiguous and not matching what was taught, I would be taking to the teacher. I expect my kid to work hard and do thier best, but I also expect that from the teachers. If my child was in 4th grad and had two or more hours of homework, he would not be doing it.

kika.fleur
by Gold Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 3:42 AM

No, not a petition. I'd talk with other parents to know what they think and how their kids cope. Then I'd talk to the teacher and the principal.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 19, 2017 at 4:18 AM
I don’t understand the problem with an hour worth of homework and reading for 1/2 hour?
Either have the child eat and relax right after.. or just do the homework and get it out of the way.

After is family time.... why would you want to “fight” school and teach your child that homework is not beneficial?!

I mean if your child can not handle it.. maybe it’s your child.. have you spoken to parents in the same class? Or others?

And my kids absolutely have sports after school.. they are on the travel team so practice 3x a week plus games on weekends thatveither requires hours of traveling or flying.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 19, 2017 at 5:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Start a petition about an hour of work. that is ridiculous.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 19, 2017 at 5:26 AM
Find a better hobby than fighting the good fight against the school.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 19, 2017 at 5:44 AM

Are you sure this isn't just an issue with your kid? Your kid not listening? your kid not paying attention? your kid not doing what he/she should be?

you first need a conversation with the teachers to find out what's going on, why vague sentences aren't cutting it with your kid, etc. Obviously, somewhere, there are kids doing perfectly well. If every kid bombed, there'd already be a district change.

Then go to the principal to find out if what the teachers say is the issue.

Teachers don't want or need to grade a ton of homework.

I really don't think the amount and kind of homework is the real issue here.

Rhodin
by Ruby Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 6:20 AM
It’s taking her kid longer than an hour.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I don’t understand the problem with an hour worth of homework and reading for 1/2 hour?
Either have the child eat and relax right after.. or just do the homework and get it out of the way.

After is family time.... why would you want to “fight” school and teach your child that homework is not beneficial?!

I mean if your child can not handle it.. maybe it’s your child.. have you spoken to parents in the same class? Or others?

And my kids absolutely have sports after school.. they are on the travel team so practice 3x a week plus games on weekends thatveither requires hours of traveling or flying.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 19, 2017 at 7:33 AM
As I said an hour plus reading. That’s an hour and a half.

Quoting Rhodin: It’s taking her kid longer than an hour.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I don’t understand the problem with an hour worth of homework and reading for 1/2 hour?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 19, 2017 at 7:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Rather than wasting your time on a petition that will get ignored, I'd begin preparing a campaign for school board during your next election cycle. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)