Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

question about parental rights

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 49 Replies
I have a question. I have full legal and physical custody of my children. The father has no visitation rights even. Has not sent child support. Has not seen the kids since we separated before our divorce. Has not seen the kids in seven months. Did not show up to any of the court proceedings regarding the divorce or custody. The children are both toddlers. My question is can I have parental rights removed from him? I am afraid of him and I don't want him to have that kind of power where he can swoop in and cause trouble. He is making all kinds of accusations about me on social media and garnering sympathy. He was an abusive father and husband. It took me long enough to leave with our kids bc I was afraid since he kept threatening to take our eldest son and leave. And threatened to make it look like I was an unfit mother etc etc. Atm I am deathly afraid every day. Afraid of potential kidnapping, and any other means he would use to harm me or the kids to hurt me. I fear I will be scared to death and paranoid until they turn 18. Please help. Any suggestions, advice, or info would be greatly appreciated.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 19, 2017 at 12:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 19, 2017 at 12:19 AM
Ask your lawyer.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 19, 2017 at 12:21 AM
Man I guess I'll have to next time he has an opening

Quoting Anonymous 2: Ask your lawyer.
bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Oct. 19, 2017 at 12:22 AM
Probably not but ask a lawyer.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 19, 2017 at 12:26 AM
That's what I thought. I have to live in fear daily. :(

Quoting bluebunnybabe: Probably not but ask a lawyer.
bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Oct. 19, 2017 at 12:27 AM
Sorry. Are you in a position to relocate? I think I would be asking a lawyer about your options there as well.

Quoting Anonymous 1: That's what I thought. I have to live in fear daily. :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 19, 2017 at 12:29 AM
Not really. My home is paid for and I have a good job. So I can't really relocate. I have daily panic attacks bc of it though. I have thought about putting gps locators on my kids, my fear is that bad.

Quoting bluebunnybabe: Sorry. Are you in a position to relocate? I think I would be asking a lawyer about your options there as well.

Quoting Anonymous 1: That's what I thought. I have to live in fear daily. :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 19, 2017 at 9:30 AM
Bump
goldpandora
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 9:33 AM

I don't know which state you live in but look into what constitutes abandonment in yours. In some states it's as little as 3 months with no contact (including phone calls, email, child support, visits, etc.). You might be able to terminate his rights that way.

thenameshailie
by Emerald Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 9:34 AM
I think you'd have to file abandonment. Here after a certain amount of time and then posting three ads in the newspaper with no response, they will grant it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 19, 2017 at 9:36 AM
My ex doesn’t have any parental rights and it was done in court when we first split up. He just signed them over, but I’m not in the US and I believe it’s much harder you’d have to prove abandonment.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)