Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I hate black history month.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 129 Replies
1 mom liked this
I wish it didn't exist. Not because I'm racist, not because "we don't get a white history month". My DD is being forced to learn about people just because they are black. I feel black people have made plenty of contributions to society, historically not as many as whites in our area, because historically there have been less blacks in this area and because many blacks suffered oppression. I've always taught my daughter that people are people. We don't talk about black people, brown people, white people, red people. We've discussed different cultures and people who actually come from different countries (African, Chinese, Indian), but not their color. I think if someone of ANY race is worth teaching children about, that they should be included in lessons, but not because they're black, or purple, or polka dot. I hope I'll live to see the day when no one feels a need for "black history month", at least in the incarnation I've seen.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 19, 2017 at 3:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 19, 2017 at 3:12 AM
Marking my spot.

bascha
by Silver Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 3:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Hmm. Irish History Month has a nice ring to it. ;)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 19, 2017 at 3:26 AM
I disagree.

Quoting bascha: Hmm. Irish History Month has a nice ring to it. ;)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 19, 2017 at 3:29 AM
🙄
Braylen1215
by on Oct. 19, 2017 at 3:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 19, 2017 at 3:34 AM
2 moms liked this

I, too, am a kind person who actually enjoys diversity and meeting people of all walks of life! And, I, too, disagree with BLACK HISTORY MONTH! No one is above anyone else in their American importance. No! Every day is NOT White awareness. It's no a celebratory 'thing'. History is history. It should all be taught in school as history progresses - and, therefore is taught! We do not push Jewish history month, and 'their people' went through seriously inhumane treatment as well. Today, we all are dealing with human trafficking. This affects ALL races and ethnicities. Should we start setting aside another month for these victims? OR, SHOULD WE ALL LET THE PAST BE TAUGHT IN SCHOOL AS IT WAS IN THE PAST. There are several inhumane issues in the world. None of them are more important or deserve a full month's worth of dedicated time. NOR should there be specific cable stations called BET, which segregates just by the call-letter of channel. Why is it not racist for there to be BLACK MISS AMERICA OR THE BLACK MUSIC/ENTERTAINMENT AWARDS?????  Some people may feel they need to hold onto a past none of us currently living were even a party to...HOWEVER, THER ARE NO SPECIFIED WHITE MUSIC OR WHITE CHANNEL OR WHITE MUSIC/ENTERTAINMENT AWARDS. Just as there are no ASIAN or Spanish channels that are only exclusive to their 'kind'. They are simply there for those individuals who do not fluently SHARE THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE! 

Racism is only the problem it is, because it is MADE to be larger than it truly needs to be. Segregation to improve lives and harmony was introduced for a reason. Ignorance ON BOTH SIDES made it an issue. BUT THAT WAS LONGER AGO THAN OUR GENERATION! Stop teaching your children HATRED!!! Especially because none of us in our current time had any influence in the ignorance of our past - several, several generations ago - Let our children get along. Because they do...unless given or fed a bunch of crap by parents/family today. Just take a look at the musician population!!! THEY KNOW HOW to express feelings and yet not listen to other crap. However the ones that do not 'let it go' are the ones causing trouble, being arrested, ending up where they need to be due to their animalistic ways of hatred - thanks to their family shoving ignorance down their throats!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 19, 2017 at 3:35 AM
Do you disagree? I'm always up for an intelligent discussion.

Quoting Anonymous 3: 🙄
bascha
by Silver Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 3:35 AM
Well, I sort of meant it as a joke, so I guess I agree with your disagreement. ;)

Quoting Anonymous 1: I disagree.

Quoting bascha: Hmm. Irish History Month has a nice ring to it. ;)
susannah2000
by Ruby Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 3:36 AM

Why do people have to be in your area to be worth studying? I at first wasn't sure of your meaning, but I agree that all people who do things of worth should be studied, and they always should have been.  FWIW, there is no Women's History Month that I know of, and women's achievements have also been historically squashed or minimized.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 19, 2017 at 3:38 AM
1 mom liked this
I kinda get it. Like you, it's not a racism thing, but let's include all people- what has Asian people done, Jewish people, Irish people, etc. Do a cultural month... with tidbits on all facts from everywhere.

Like here's something- during WW2, did anyone know the Japanese had concentration camps too, a doctor there performed pretty horrific 'medical' acts, just like the doctors did to the Jewish camps. I'm 29 years old, half japanese and had no idea about that! Why isn't that spoken about?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)