Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I only ever saw this on TV I didn't think Parents actually did this!!!

Posted by on Oct. 19, 2017 at 9:03 AM
  • 87 Replies
1 mom liked this

We were out having to find a vanity and lighting for our bathroom and stopped at Red Robin. There was this couple right next to us with two boys, I would say 3 and 4/5, These kids would not sit still for anything and one even kept trying to see what my son was doing on his phone.

They were correcting them, trying to get them to sit correctly to eat when I actually heard the Mom saying calmly "I Respect that you want to get up and move around but we are in a restaurant and need to sit down nicely." Yeah that kid wasn't having the Respect talk LOL He got up and went running around. As he is running the Dad grabs him, hugs him and sits him on his lap and says "I Respect you have a lot of energy and that we had a fun day, but we need to sit and eat now."  He sits the 3 yr old down. Then the 4/5 year old gets up and starts walking around. Mom grabs him sits him down and once again says "I respect you are young and don't know better but you really need to sit down and eat"

This went on our WHOLE dinner. DH and I just kept looking at eachother laughing. I wanted to go over to them and say "Obviously they don't RESPECT you that you Respect them." Once we got out to the car my DS says "What the heck was all that respect talk? IF that were me acting like that one of you would be taken me into the bathroom and gave me a good talking to" LMAO!!

Seriously I did not know that Parents actually did the whole "I Respect" thing, I swore that was only in movies. 

by on Oct. 19, 2017 at 9:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 19, 2017 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this

My brother is like that. He's all free spirited and what not but my 6 year old niece is a brat. I love her to death but I spend a couple of days correcting my kids (3 boys) behavior after spending the day with them. Her behavior is also in part because she was the first (and only for 4 years) granddaughter and she's an only child. Spoiled is putting it lightly. 

Wellygrrl
by Silver Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 9:10 AM
It works eventually the children are very young. My son is 15 and we used that method. He is respectful, loving and is actually has a great relationship with his peers,teachers and parents.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 19, 2017 at 9:13 AM

It sounds like they are in therapy 

LuvHugs429
by Silver Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this

How long is eventually? My 15 yr old son is all those things too but he knew if we said stop he listened.

Quoting Wellygrrl: It works eventually the children are very young. My son is 15 and we used that method. He is respectful, loving and is actually has a great relationship with his peers,teachers and parents.

anononononon
by Gold Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 9:15 AM
This.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

It sounds like they are in therapy 

mama_danetta
by She's so heavy on Oct. 19, 2017 at 9:18 AM
4 moms liked this
So everyone is just supposed to put up with your kid's bad behavior until it "eventually" works? No thanks.

Quoting Wellygrrl: It works eventually the children are very young. My son is 15 and we used that method. He is respectful, loving and is actually has a great relationship with his peers,teachers and parents.
krisnkids
by Gold Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 9:18 AM
4 moms liked this

Long winded bs. Me to 3 yo child. Sit and eat. Done.

My kids are polite, respectful and get along with kids and adults just fine.

ReedusStalker
by 11-15/3-27 on Oct. 19, 2017 at 9:20 AM
2 moms liked this
Right lol

Quoting mama_danetta: So everyone is just supposed to put up with your kid's bad behavior until it "eventually" works? No thanks.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 19, 2017 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this
I wonder how that conversation would be like with my teenager.

"I respect that you do not want to ____ and you are entitled to your opinion, but you cannot call me an asshole."

My normal method is giving him the look that says I will smack his mouth, which typically works for like, a day.
Wellygrrl
by Silver Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 9:21 AM
He was 6 before he really understood, he tested us but we were consistent with our boundaries and he eventually complied to our rules of conduct.

Quoting LuvHugs429:

How long is eventually? My 15 yr old son is all those things too but he knew if we said stop he listened.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)