Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not taking a plea deal? *updated*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 133 Replies
Okay the other day I spoke with a friend who has been to prison once before. He shot a guy in a drunken rage, damn near killed him.
Kept turning down deals for almost a year until they finally offered him 20 months in prison and lessened his charge from attempted murder to aggravated assault.

He told me to tell my boyfriend not to accept any deals.
What happens when he turns one down? Do they come at him with another? How many times will they try?
I'm scared if he turns down one deal then they'll go to trial and throw the book at him.

UPDATE:
They offered a deal of 3 fixed, 4 indeterminate. He wants to turn it down. I said WHY??
"A lot can happen in 3 years" implying that I might get tired of waiting for him.
Yes but a whole lot more than happen in 12!
Like...3 is sounding pretty awesome at this point. But he doesn't want to take it. He's got 3 weeks to decide.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 19, 2017 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 11:41 AM
What did your boyfriend do?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 19, 2017 at 11:42 AM
Your boyfriend should talk to his attorney about possible ramifications of turning down the first plea deal
owl0210
by Sapphire Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this
That's up to the prosecutor's discretion. They don't have to offer any deals and if he doesn't plea out then he'll go to trial.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 19, 2017 at 11:42 AM
3 moms liked this
Wow sounds like you chose a real winner here. I wouldn't be with any guy who was ever in prison. I go the other way. I'm married to a cop.
krisnkids
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 11:43 AM

What did your boyfriend do? What pleas are they offering him?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 19, 2017 at 11:43 AM

You could go to trial and serve the maximum sentence. The deal is almost always a better choice. It's also why innocent people confess. :( No they will not negotiate. You either take it or you don't. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 19, 2017 at 11:44 AM
It depends completely on what happened, evidence etc. What happened
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 19, 2017 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this

They go to trial if he turns down a deal.

He should really follow his attorney's advice, not the suggestions of an ex-con. 

Oliviasmom72
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Why are you taking advice from this loser? If your BF does not accept a plea deal he will go to trial asnd if found guilty he will likely get the max.

Does he have an attorney? What is he being charged with? Your friend that got only 20 months lucked out if he only got that. I cant explain the lenient sentence. It is up to the prosecutor.

But not taking a plea means your BF faces a much longer sentence.

Why are you dating a loser?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Oct. 19, 2017 at 11:47 AM
Plea bargains are not always offered. Plea bargains are not always accepted by the court.

You really need to raise your standards
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)