Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you trust an 18 year old nurse?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 208 Replies

My sister is 18 and is now a licensed RN. 

She graduated high school just after turning 16 (she started early and skipped like 2nd grade I think). She did a summer semester of pre reqs and 2 years of nursing school and now is an RN

She says no one takes her seriously at work. That no one trusts her. 

I can understand being a little worried about someone so young. I know she has the training down and she did well in school but it just seems so odd. 

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 19, 2017 at 7:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 19, 2017 at 7:30 PM
2 moms liked this
It would be a little unusual and would kind of make me question her abilities. But if she completed nursing school the same as everyone else, I would assume she's qualified.

But even young professionals in their 20s get doubted and ragged on. She's not alone.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 19, 2017 at 7:31 PM

I did tell her that she isnt the only one with that problem and it probably wont stop for awhile. When I started my career at 22 people still looked at me like I was a baby or something lol 

Quoting Anonymous 2: It would be a little unusual and would kind of make me question her abilities. But if she completed nursing school the same as everyone else, I would assume she's qualified. But even young professionals in their 20s get doubted and ragged on. She's not alone.

-DancingQueen-
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 7:32 PM
I was 19 when I got my nursing license. I totally get where she is coming from. I'm 24 now and have worked in the same area my entire career, so I'm an experienced nurse here, and I still have people question me because of how young I look.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 19, 2017 at 7:32 PM
I'm a nurses aid in my 30's I would have no problem taking orders from a 18 year old RN. She put the time in school she deserves respect.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 19, 2017 at 7:32 PM
It may have more to due with experience level than age

It wouldn't bother me if she was professional and take 30 minutes to start an IV line
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 19, 2017 at 7:33 PM
Bull shit.
tsatske2
by Latricia on Oct. 19, 2017 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I've had young looking nurses, I've never asked their age. If I did, though, I would think it was awesome!

Talkingheads
by Ruby Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 7:34 PM
1 mom liked this
It takes time but once her co workers learn to trust het so will the patients. She just always need to act twice as professional as the others
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 19, 2017 at 7:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes I would be fine with a young nurse. It's not like they walk around announcing their age.
I am biased though unfortunately. If it was an old nurse with white hair and shaking while holding medication I wouldn't trust her as far as I could throw her lol.
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 7:35 PM
1 mom liked this

No, it wouldn't bother me (and I'm 61).  If they are competent, I don't care if they are old, young, purple or green. 

That said, I've been told (by my own kids) that it helps (especially for women) to cultivate an "older" appearance, as in no wild hair colors or styles, minimal makeup, conservative clothing, shoes and jewelry.  And especially mannerisms and grammar.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)