Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If your child...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
If your child was getting an A in 6th grade math, and received an A all 4 quarters of 5th grade math, how would you feel about receiving a letter stating they’d be placed in math Intervention? This is based off of a standardized test score being at the 25th percentile.

Typically I’d be fine with extra math support. It’s not my child’s strongest area, but I support her at home, helping with any concepts she may need extra support in. She’s not required much help this year, and is maintaining an A.

The RTI program is forcing my daughter to skip 1 band practice a week to attend another math class. She LOVES band and this angers her, especially since she’s receiving an A in math. If she was truly demonstrating a struggle I’d be more understanding. But, she’s not. She has an A.

As a parent how would you feel? Just curious. I did contact the principal about my concerns, and asked what specific curriculum will be utilized during RTI, and what skills they will be focusing on. I’m awaiting a reply.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 19, 2017 at 8:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HellHound
by Ruby Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 8:32 PM
I’d figure out if she blew off the standardized test resulting in the low score or if the school inflates grades for some reason. Basically, is the reality that she is exceeding standards or is she falling below? I’d make my decision based on that.
.oOPoisonOo.
by Silver Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 8:33 PM

I'd think she's bad at testing but knows her work otherwise which is reflected by her class scores.

Curlymom234
by Flamingo lady on Oct. 19, 2017 at 8:34 PM

I'd feel that the school somehow failed her. Did she bomb the test? What about the grades in the school?

HaloSue
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 8:34 PM
Yeah, I would ask too. Getting perfect A all last year and still getting a A I don't see the point or problem?
She's not struggling with the A.
Interesting...
YuppyMom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 8:35 PM
Is she in a lower level math class?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 19, 2017 at 8:35 PM
No. She’s in the regular 6th grade math class, same as everyone else.

Quoting YuppyMom: Is she in a lower level math class?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 19, 2017 at 8:37 PM
It’s a MAP assessment. It assesses students on a large variety of grade level concepts. The thing about the fall assessment is that many concepts presented, 6th graders haven’t been exposed to yet, as it’s only October. She’ll take another MAP in January. I hate how much emphasis is put on standardized computer tests.

Quoting Curlymom234:

I'd feel that the school somehow failed her. Did she bomb the test? What about the grades in the school?

GaleJ
by Ruby Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 8:41 PM
The ongoing problem with grades and testing is demonstrated by this. I so prefer allowing the children to learn at their own pace and test themselves to decide if and when they are ready to move forward.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 19, 2017 at 8:44 PM

I worked with incoming college freshmen.  I would see a good number of students who did very poorly on the ACT/SAT who had a 4.0 high school GPA.  They would need to take remedial math in college and most would struggle.  I would take the standaradized test seriously.  Class grades include homework (answers in back of book, help from parents) and participation type scores.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 19, 2017 at 8:58 PM
My fear is this RTI being a waste of her time. I want to know what they will be doing that I’m not already doing at home, to reinforce math skills. I fear her hating math, and dreading RTI because she’s losing out on something she loves every week. She’s huge into the arts, and I hate that her school sacrifices extra curriculars for this.

Students in both band and choir are being forced to quit one of those activities all together, if they require RTI. My DD is only in band, but how unfair to any students in both, who didn’t meet the district’s expectations on one test. :(

Quoting Anonymous 2:

I worked with incoming college freshmen.  I would see a good number of students who did very poorly on the ACT/SAT who had a 4.0 high school GPA.  They would need to take remedial math in college and most would struggle.  I would take the standaradized test seriously.  Class grades include homework (answers in back of book, help from parents) and participation type scores.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)