Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should we get paid for this trip?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 70 Replies
Once a year my company flies us out for a 3 day convention. They provide breakfast lunch and dinner, air fare, a hotel, transportation, and 1 group activity.

We have to spend 8 hours each day in a workshop. We don’t get paid at all for it.

This year it’s in a “boring” city but every other year the convention is in Hawaii so no one complains lol I feel like we should at least be getting minimum wage for the time in the workshop, right?

Luckily I don’t need to hire child care and 3 days off my paycheck isn’t a big deal but what If that wasn’t the case? Why should some have to pay money to attend a mandatory workshop? It just doesn’t seem right to me.

Thoughts?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 19, 2017 at 10:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 10:49 PM
2 moms liked this
You have to miss pay for 3 days? That’s wrong! When I’m sent to an all day workshop, I’m still paid for it. That would piss me off.
Princess_s21
by Sarah on Oct. 19, 2017 at 10:50 PM
That’s strange. I’ve always been paid for any work conferences I’ve been on. My BIL goes on them at least twice a year he always gets paid! Bills don’t go away because you are going on a conference.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 19, 2017 at 10:51 PM
Yes! The 3 days we are here we don’t get paid like we would back at the office. Sometimes I feel like the bosses see this as a “vacation” for us...trust me, it’s not lol

Quoting KairisMama: You have to miss pay for 3 days? That’s wrong! When I’m sent to an all day workshop, I’m still paid for it. That would piss me off.
bleumonster
by Sapphire Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 10:53 PM
I got paid for all of mine including travel time.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 19, 2017 at 10:53 PM
2 moms liked this
I'd, with a very professional attitude, go and ask for that to be changed. If they say it can't, then request that you be excused from the trip, since you'd prefer to have to pay.
MysticLove
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 10:54 PM
3 moms liked this

If it is a required workshop, I feel that you should be paid. 

spunky946
by Ruby Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 10:55 PM

You should get paid,

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 19, 2017 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this
So the only reason you want to get paid this time is because it isn't somewhere "fun?" I mean, I don't think you should miss pay for something mandatory, but that's how it sounds.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 19, 2017 at 10:56 PM
No not right. You are working during your normal hours, and on company time. You should get paid. Go to hr.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 19, 2017 at 10:58 PM
No. This is the first one I’ve been on. From talking to the other employees they all don’t care because “we’re just waiting for Hawaii!”.

Quoting Anonymous 3: So the only reason you want to get paid this time is because it isn't somewhere "fun?" I mean, I don't think you should miss pay for something mandatory, but that's how it sounds.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)