Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thanksgiving and allergies

Posted by on Oct. 19, 2017 at 11:52 PM
  • 52 Replies
I know it's early, Halloween isn't here yet. However last month we found out oldest dd is allergic to what seems like everything. It at least what has proven to be about 80% of her diet. It's been fun figuring everything out. Her allergy list is wheat, soy, sesame seeds, peanuts, walnuts, cashews, hazelnuts, almonds, melons, apples and bananas. We've been teaching her to cook some of the basics so she can still have her favorite things. She had pancakes tonight. My parents are great and they already are helping find recipes or adjusting her favorites that she can have.

With Thanksgiving coming up I'm worried. We do pot luck style with both families. I'll be making desserts, I've started experimenting to find good alternatives, Rolls and deviled eggs. But vegetable oil is out, peanut oil, breads of all kinds until I find a recipe she likes, even mayo and ranch has to be homemade or specially bought. Her worst allergies are soy, hazelnut and melons. It's those reactions that ended with her asking for the allergy test to find everything else.

Now my question, would it be rude to ask for ingredients? Most of my family cooks from scratch. I'm not asking that they do anything. I'm just trying to figure out if I need to bring other small things she can eat. I'm trying to teach her that she's responsible for ensuring her food is safe. That she will have to ensure she has options, either by asking for ingredient lists or bringing her own food.
by on Oct. 19, 2017 at 11:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ilovemykids323
by on Oct. 19, 2017 at 11:54 PM

just bring her something she can eat for herself. but i dont think it's rude to ask as long as you aren't telling them to change things. some of them may want to accommodate her :).

squeekers
by squeekers on Oct. 19, 2017 at 11:55 PM
2 moms liked this
Explain why you are asking for the recipes, and most can understand.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 19, 2017 at 11:57 PM
1 mom liked this
It wouldn't bother me to provide the ingredients. If I know about an allergy I always make an alternative anyway.
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Oct. 19, 2017 at 11:57 PM

I would just make what she is going to eat, just to be extra careful and safe.

texasma06
by Gold Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 11:58 PM
Most of them will. They make small things they know younger dd likes as she can't have sugar. This is just much bigger. If it has something she can't have I want to know if I need to make her an alternative to bring. I just don't want to be rude. I don't really see extended family except for holidays.

Quoting ilovemykids323:

just bring her something she can eat for herself. but i dont think it's rude to ask as long as you aren't telling them to change things. some of them may want to accommodate her :).

texasma06
by Gold Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 11:59 PM
Most of my family will. They do for my other dd, sugar is easy to avoid. We are still finding things ODD can't have.

Quoting Anonymous 1: It wouldn't bother me to provide the ingredients. If I know about an allergy I always make an alternative anyway.
texasma06
by Gold Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 12:02 AM
It's the soy and hazelnut that scares me. We found out about the soy after a trip to PA.It's a cash crop up there and it just being in the air up there caused a full body rash. Hazelnut causes her throat to swell and sores in her mouth. Most people don't know vegetable oil is soybean oil, I didn't before this.

Quoting Sassy762:

AmiJanell
by Ruby Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Personally, I'd make sure there was at least a few main dish items she can for sure have... either you bring them, of if your parents are going to be making accommodations, that you know they are making.  And this year, I'd just have her stick to the foods you know are 100% safe. 

Room2Breathe
by on Oct. 20, 2017 at 12:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Send out a mass email and explain and ask that if what they are bringing has any of that, to please let you and ODD know so she can avoid those foods. I had to do that with DHs family. They all cook with pepper and it triggers hives and severe asthma attacks. So they made an extra table for any food that was cooked with pepper. It was very sweet of them.
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Oct. 20, 2017 at 12:04 AM

WOW........I didn't know that either.

Quoting texasma06: It's the soy and hazelnut that scares me. We found out about the soy after a trip to PA.It's a cash crop up there and it just being in the air up there caused a full body rash. Hazelnut causes her throat to swell and sores in her mouth. Most people don't know vegetable oil is soybean oil, I didn't before this.
Quoting Sassy762:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)